82 specialized stump jumper id?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this a "D" in the code? If so, does this mean its the 14 one made? i know its an 82 stump jumper because the decals and the lookup on parts matches all the 82 stuff
IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

Yes, that is a D. And yep, that's very likely the 14th one of that run, the problem is, that specialized didn't / doesn't use "smart" numbers, and going back as far as 1982 they primarily use the colors and decals to match years...as you've already done.

You'll find other 82 stumpjumpers with different serial numbers on them, some completely different preface letters/numbers, TD prefaced sone, M2 prefaced others, and it's all very confusing. If you called Specialized they wouldn't be able to help...the system was that wonky.

The specs on these bikes can also kind of bizarre and different. Because they were basically one of the first "production" bikes out there, they often spec'd them with whatever they had in the parts bin that day. I've heard of some showing up with campagnolo parts on them. lol

That's a long .... stem! What are those cranks suntour?

I know what you are saying about the "wonky" id system. I even contacted specialized and they pretty much told me the same thing you did about 4 days ago now. All the other 82' serial numbers though are much higher with not as many 0's. But i did research it , they have a chart of all the different years and the different parts.

it has the AR front and rear Suntour Derailuers i believe it is, but it says AR, and it has the specialized headset not the channel seal headset listed for 83'.
The araya rims with the suzue sealed lugged hubs only listed for 82'.
Only one other year had the araya rims and it was the 83', and the 83' had specialized sealed hubs, not suzue, also the 83' had suntour Mountech deraileurs, Not suntour AR deraileurs which i have on my bike.
My bike also has the TA Specialties cranks made in france, as for the 83' it says it came with Sugino at triple cranks
My bars are not labeled i dont believe, but they are an alloy raised bar.
And for my pedals, they are not suntour pedals, they are bmx style.
heres the specs http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm
IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Back