'81 Chevy Project Goes Away

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Project Truck- End of the Dream?

Since its the other guys fault since he hit you in the rear, I would be doing some
serious going to therapy to get my body fixed. Lots of time you don't realize how hurt you are till later.
We have something called PIP its personal injury protection and it will pay for stuff even though the
insurance has paid. Its the only insurance in Texas you can double dip. Check and see if its on your policy. :wink:

Yep that sucks, depends on what insurance they have... but more than likely they will go the cheap route.

It never hurts to get your own independent estimate. That way you know if their adjuster is trying to pull a fast one. Even if they do total it... the damage is repairable. never hurts to ask what it would take to buy it back after they total it. sometimes you can get a pretty good deal.

if their insurance wants to play hardball, you can always pull the whiplash card. that seems to get their attention.

One other thing... you DONT have to accept the settlement, you can always turn it down and re-negotiate.

if its totaled... they need to pay whatever it takes to replace the vehicle with something that is similar as far as make, model, miles, and condition. and since you just had the "bodyshop" do a bunch of work, insurance needs to cover that also.

The adjusted was a real jerk. He all but accused be of intentionally causing damage to the truck to get more money. Add to that his saying "With all the pre-existing rust damage..." Really? "All the rust" is one rocker panel and the repair panel is on the seat of the truck.
He was from some insurance clearing house that works with multiple agencies.

I am still awaiting their initial offer.

Yep... he's just doing what he's been trained to do... which is minimize the damage and make sure you get the LEAST amount of money.

In the meantime... go get your own estimate! I think you will be very surprised at the difference!

If they come in with a lowball offer, counter with YOUR estimate and the fact that you are seeing a Dr. for your sore neck.

Don't know how your state works, but you should look online and they tell you
how to best settle a claim for physical stuff without an attorney. I wish I had read it before I settled.
I missed some that they will pay. Having someone drive you to a therapist ...mow your yard...clean your house
All the things you can't do when your hurt.

Back to work on the truck now that the insurance mess is out of the way. The settlement amount is only a third of what the repair quotes were so I will be doing the repairs myself. I am borrowing a stud welder from a friend (same friend I bought the truck from) and I will teach myself another aspect of body work. I called a local glass place for a quote for the back window and windshield and their quote just happened to equal my settlement amount. Guess I will be teaching myself glass replacement as well. I still need to replace the rusted rocker panel as well, but cutting and welding in the 100+ temps doesn't sound very appealing right now. Maybe when I have the check in my hand my feelings will change.

Re: New Project Truck- Keeping the Dream Alive

udallcustombikes said:
I called a local glass place for a quote for the back window and windshield and their quote just happened to equal my settlement amount.
And your insurance.... grinning from ear to ear. :roll:

After looking at it, it seemed to me that the driver side cab was pushed into the driver's door... thats what caused the window to jam. Check your door gap, the point Im trying to make... a stud welder will help remove some of the smaller dents, but your gonna have to find a way to push the cab back in place so the door gap is restored and the door closes like it should.

I would suggest a porta-power hydraulic ram.

The back window is easy money, Windshield... if it has a rubber gasket like the back window, its also no biggie. If its a glue in.... I would hire it out.

Might be able to find glass at a salvage for cheap.

call every glass place in the yellow pages.

you may be surprised at what a small co. will charge vs the big chains.

I had windshield replaced in my drive way in less than an hour for half what the big guys wanted, and looks good, no problems.

With a meager check in hand I am back on track with the truck. There was a guy locally on CL that had all the glass from his truck- both vent windows, both door windows, back glass and windshield- for $100. I offered $75 and he accepted. We planned to meet the next day. He called me that morning to let me know that when he went to pick up the glass the windshield was broken. We negotiated to $50 for the rest of the glass. The door and vent glass will be stored away for now. A new seal and a half hour later I had successfully installed the rear window.
526965_4075436058663_953879350_n.jpg

Today I went in and had a new windshield installed.
533255_4085142901328_1517476582_n.jpg

After that I headed to my favorite salvage yard for some quality time in the rows of other people's trash. I found a new tailgate, some grill trim I was missing and a bumper from a Suburban. I also hit Autozone for some belts and a headlight.

This afternoon I got the tailgate and bumper mounted.
217601_4085136061157_182104165_n.jpg

This weekend my work will continue.

Back