*80's Schwinn Touring rare roller brakes*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this from the thrift store. Heres some pics.
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

Ya, they work very strong, and they are super smooth on the lever grab to the feel of the brake on the rim. Solid and crisp. I am tempted to pull the brakes off and sell them on ebay. I have heard from a few different people that they are rare, and these ones especially are in good shape because this bike was garage kept. The only reason i didn't want to part it out because then i wouldn't be able to sell the hole bike. any suggestions, or know anyone interested to trade for them or to buy them?

TXBONE said:
Ya, they work very strong, and they are super smooth on the lever grab to the feel of the brake on the rim. Solid and crisp. I am tempted to pull the brakes off and sell them on ebay. I have heard from a few different people that they are rare, and these ones especially are in good shape because this bike was garage kept. The only reason i didn't want to part it out because then i wouldn't be able to sell the hole bike. any suggestions, or know anyone interested to trade for them or to buy them?

They are not rare and they sell for like 40-50 bucks a pair in nice condition, here's a set they been trying to sell for $40 bucks for a while with no takers. So it's probably just better to

keep your schwinn all original.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw...+brakes&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

That would make what it was intended for, a great touring bike. Drop bars, bar end shifters, low rider pannier racks... nice.

Be careful in taking those brakes off. The brake studs are above the rim, so you won't find another brake that will fit that bike. Unless you go to a coaster brake or some sort of side pull brake. The side pull brake may not work depending on the reach and it looks like there is no brake bridge on the rear either.

There is a brake bridge that comes as part of the seat post clamp. Its black, so its hard to see it in the pic. Any ideas how i should make this a project, or is anyone interested in buying this bike? It def needs some TLC, but its a cool find i feel, just not sure what to do with it.

oh, which means those pretty much are the only brakes i can use or a coaster brake is what your saying i guess. U interested , or know anyone interested in this bike by any chance?

Back