80s Schwinn Supreme... Cruiser/MTB?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Year before last I picked up a pile of bikes from a church member, mostly trashed bikes one grabbed my attention. It's Schwinn (meh) and of the faded decals I can see the word Supreme. Had cruiser style bars with dia-compe caliper brakes. Araya 26" alloy wheels, 5 speed cassette on rear. 3 piece crank (forgot the name). The fork is chrome. It's a solid bike and of the bikes in the pile that was the only one I turned into a rider. I threw on a set of old tandem coaster brake wheels and some mini-apes and it rode really well. At the same time I had my 1950 Columbia with a motor on it and my plan had always been to transfer the motor over to this Schwinn since I care less about this frame than the Columbia.

What do I need to look at on the Schwinn to find the date? There are some little numbers stamped on the headbadge. Where was it made? Was this a cruiser or early mountain bike?

I can get some new photos, but I found these from when I first got it.

pile6.jpg

pile3.jpg

I am finally tearing it down for it's next rebuild as a motorized bike. The seat post had been stuck since I got it and I had to add some heat. I am taking off the fork, it will be getting a triple tree off a baby OCC. I still should have the chainring guard and all the brakes off of it, and I think 1 rim was good. I will be welding motor mounts on this frame instead of just clamping to it.

Looking again, I don't know if those brakes are Dia-compe, I might have been thinking about the brakes on that bent up Columbia road bike beside it, I still have those too.

cman said:
My guess is 82-85, not Chicago.

Make a nice base or steal the Araya's for something else.

One of the Arayas was saved, one was trashed. The bike will be my motorized bike because the motor fits the frame better than the old Columbia and I really don't care about this one.

Latest posts

Back