80's Schwinn CL Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Here's another CL find that I could not pass up.. I bought this 80's 6 speed Schwinn Cruiser from the origenal owner and later he had passed it on to his kid but it just sat and let it go.. The dad got tired of it just sitting there so he posted it on CL for $20 and so I got busy and replied to the post and the rest is history.. But my question is, does this bike look to be an 80's Schwinn King Sting.?
The one thing the previous owner did say is that he did change the bars and got rid of them.. and he had polished everything on this bike but as you can see it needs a lot of TLC now..
I just had to save it..

A picture of a 12 speed King Sting..

Last edited:
Find the serial number first.
Check the original paint color in then headtube or BB.

Msg spitols, he is knowlegeble.

I would say no King Sting because the dropouts.

Single speed King Stings had rear facing dropouts. The 5 speeds had front facing but only one braze on for fender/rack.
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1981.html#king-sting

They were also hand brazed frames, so look for "welding" like this at the seat cluster and BB
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1980_King_Sting.html
KingStingSeat.JPG

Last edited:
I guess its leaning not to be a "King" so I'll make it a "King Klone" Build..
Thanks for the info guys. Hey can't complain for the price.. right.?

Yeah the cable guides on your bike are on the top of the top tube and the ones on the King Sting are under the top tube. I have a King Sting driver side crank and chain ring if you're interested.

I figuered I'd just clone a King Sting since I have it..
I already put on some Sidewinder bars on it and going to break it down and go through it and replace all the cables and tires, a new color combo. Still in the works.
My "King Klone" project..

Back