80s DIAMONDBACK ASCENT MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I love mid to early 80s mountain bikes. They still have that vintage BMX vibe about them. I picked this one up over the weekend from member @tuga and I plan to detail it out and get it rolling again. He bought it for the derailleur and shifters so I need to resolve that issue to get it back on the road. The size is perfect for me and everything is very clean and on great shape...should look mint when I'm done.

cbdb978947a67448abd7b1ed35132913.jpg

d434b728164aff583a7abfd2d36323b7.jpg

A chrome MTB from Diamond Back, Ross etc..... in my list. Nice fine. It even has mid-fork mounts for touring racks.

Those mid 80's mountain bikes make great metro commuter bikes as well as nice touring bikes. I have a Blackdiamond Wildwood that I'm making into a touring bike of sorts. I have a front shock fork that I have pulled off and am looking for a solid fork to put in it.s place.

I disagree use the bike as a mult speed bike. Having just one gear with a bike under a load not a good idea. Having trying to tour or urban bike a single spd bike was not the best idea. Having varible gear ratio depend what you are on is helpful It really depends on your use of the bike.

The original shifters look Deorish or some a black version of Suntour's first index. But some Powershifters is what the chrome beauty needs.

eb8ddcc46809d230651a08b7bc429eff.jpg

Back