80mm Rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all It's good to be back I have a few builds that are racing in the head but first I would like to get some feed back on the 80mm wide rims..... 24" and 26" and I see now you can get even 100mm in 24 and 26 :shock: NICE!
the price here seams easy on the pocket book?

http://www.choppersus.com/store/categor ... Rims-Only/

the next build I would like fabricate a bike much like this

gallery38.jpg

what sucks is the fact that no store here in Canada has them..... they all look at me as if I'm crazy :mrgreen:

So which hubs work best with them? does the three speed work with the 80mm? stuff like that

thanks

-FW

if you go the multi rim route heres a HOW TO from B.R.K.
firebikes has complete 80x24 wheels and they should be in country for you(dont know if he sells just rims but worth a call to see)...
if not CHOPPERDOME has them but shipping may cost alot...
also CHOPPERSUS has them(shipping may be pricey as well)
you can use a standard nexus 3 speed on them as long as you dish the wheel and use an offset sprocket

hope some of this helps

Using two normal rims side-by-side was used in icebiking for a long time; it was the only way to put more rubber to the ground and still use a normal bike frame/pedal gearing/tire layout.
People use two innertubes under one wide tire. Some people welded or brazed the rims together while others just laced each rim to the opposite hub side, using only half the spoke holes in both rims (-in icebiking you're only doing flat-ground riding, so the wheels don't need to be bombproof and the cross-lacing holds well enough-).

A number of years back the Snowcat rims became available. They are 2" outside, 44mm inside, which was the fattest 26" rims you could get for a few years.
http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

The Snowcats are still available but for general winter racing, the wider 4" rims and tires have become dominant because they usually do even better. And the chopper bikes have taken off, so the rims and tires are all over now.

-------

The Snowcats have two advantages in that they can still use regular hubs and will fit inside many normal MTB frames--but rim brakes won't work with them due to the width, so disk brakes are usually used.

The 4" rims all need special extra-wide hubs, and most of them are pretty sad quality.... They're made for young-kid-bikes and young-kid-weights.
~

Back