'79 Schwinn Collegiate Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right after i joined up, I ran across the restoration that Bikeriderx was (key word = was :( ) doing on his 1980 Collegiate and I got all excited 'cause I'd just picked one up myself.
Basically all I did was go thru the bearings and clean up the paint (the paint only has one little scratch and came out beautifully) and polished the chrome.
I was not nearly as detailed as he was on documenting the actual restoration, so all I have are before and after pics.

Before
DSC06188-1.jpg

DSC06185-1.jpg

DSC06187-1.jpg

DSC06186-1.jpg

After
DSC06694-1.jpg

DSC06693-1.jpg

DSC06698-1.jpg

DSC06696-1.jpg

DSC06697-1.jpg

DSC06695-1.jpg

I still need to get the shifting adjusted but overall it looks brand new!

Maybe this will inspire Bikeriderx to get his finished up.

Whoa! :shock:

Beautiful job....the bike looks better than new!

That's how I like to find them....just grungy enough for a dramatic difference once detailed. :wink:

Very nice. And this thread allows another gratuitous post of mine...... :D
IMG_0071-1.jpg

IMG_0073-1.jpg

IMG_0077-1.jpg

IMG_0076-1.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Nice job drabe!!! I've not seen a black one...cool! Ok, 'ya shamed me into finishing mine! :oops: But I think it's gonna be over winter... :|

Here's my '79 Collegiate single speed, my main rider. This the only pic I've got of it.
IMG_8789.jpg

I really should have taken some before shots 'cause it was ugly w/dirt, rust & peeling decals. Basically a free bike (traded a free junker for it on the CL) + new rubber & bearings.
It's got low rise Fairlady apes on it now, as I was having some lower back issues.

Do thosd baskets get in the way when maneuvering in tight spots?

bigj said:
Do thosd baskets get in the way when maneuvering in tight spots?

No, not really.They fold flat when not in use. BTW, they're from Wald & I was lucky enough to pull 'em from a curbside wreck.

Thanx. I am thinking about getting those kind. The folding flat thing sounds like a great idea.

Those are nice bikes. Just the inspiration that I need....
Collegiate.jpg

I don't know what the heck to do with this. :?

Back