'79 Headhunter Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the finished pics. Enjoy!
DSC02971.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

DSC02976.jpg

DSC02977.jpg

DSC02979.jpg

Sean
Here's a run down on the parts:
Frame (ser. # DQxxxxxx) and chain guard from Craig's List
Springer fork is a Pyramid, LBS
Tires are a Duro 20x1.75 brick front and a Kenda 20x2.125 knobbie rear, LBS
Rims are generic, LBS
Seat is a Pyramid, LBS
Post is a Wald, LBS
Sissy bar, seat post clamp, 1 piece crank and chain ring are from Bike Parts USA
Handlbars are Wald, LBS
Stem is from a dumpster dived Roadmaster MTB I parted out
Pedals and Grips are Schwinn
Chain from Wal-mart
Decals from ebay. I posted a link for those further down. They are all vinyl, much easier to deal with than water slide.
Mirror is BikePal. Looks like the one I had on my trusty ol' W Flyer back in the 70's.
Skull key chain on the mirror is from Walgreens
Shrunken head from Just Alpaca, Link posted below. Its made of goat skin. Very creepy cool!
Original Muncie Indiana bicycle license plate from 1965 and a Walmart Indiana bicycle license plate with my first name.
Frame was chemical strip job. Primed in Krylon primer, Base is Krylon OSHA Safety Green with Duplicolor Color Effects, top coat is Krylon Crystal Clear.

MWSCOOTERS said:
cool...Where did you get the front springer. G
The springer came from a local bike shop. Check the lowrider bicycle parts stores on lines. They have straight and bent springers.
Sean

sean138 said:
MWSCOOTERS said:
The springer came from a local bike shop. Check the lowrider bicycle parts stores on lines. They have straight and bent springers.
Sean

Where did you find the schwinn stickers you put on after you painted it, Thanks Greg

MWSCOOTERS said:
sean138 said:
MWSCOOTERS said:
Sean

Where did you find the schwinn stickers you put on after you painted it, Thanks Greg
Hey Greg, They're vinyl decals. Picked em up on ebay. Here's a link.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Bicycles-an ... QQ_armrsZ1
Just checked out your daughters bike. It's cool.
Sean

i love the shrunken head! wicked cool!

perhaps some wooden grips and bamboo sissy bar covers would lend to the theme?
rad ray bud!

Thats awesome man. I love the head. Where'd you get it? I have a 1980 Stingray 2 that i need to do something to. I think a springer fork would be a great start

Thanks! The head came from a guy I didn't like! Only kidding! I got it from Just Alpaca, here's a link
http://www.justalpaca.com/shrunkenheads.html
I like the bamboo, wood and leather on the Tiki bikes but I was going more for the 1960's custom rod/Ed Roth/George Barris inspired look. Almost a ridable "hot wheel". Headhunter sounded like something Roth might have called this bike. It's the bike Peter Brady would have shrunk Margie Whipples head for!
Sean

LOL - very cool, Sean. Definitely diggin' it!

I've been thinking about doing a similar thing with a 26" Schwinn canti frame, and this is obviously great inspiration. 8)

Hey Sean, this is what I've been working on lately, this is what I was thinking about putting a springer on? Thanks for your replies...It's called the "H-Bomb" beacause I started with a Haro frame. Greg

hbomb.jpg

I was diggin thru some stuff and found this....want it???
100_1080.jpg

original oldie! Latex-like rubberey stuff...flexible :mrgreen:

MWSCOOTERS said:
Hey Sean, this is what I've been working on lately, this is what I was thinking about putting a springer on? Thanks for your replies...It's called the "H-Bomb" beacause I started with a Haro frame. Greg

hbomb.jpg
That would look cool with a springer. Very different concept to put a springer on a BMXer. Back in the '90s a guy a rode trails with up in Alaska rode a Haro MTB that was an awesome bike.
Sean

Hammond Eggz said:

I've been thinking about doing a similar thing with a 26" Schwinn canti frame, and this is obviously great inspiration. 8)
Thanks! I saw banana seats for 26ers on one of the parts sites. Can't remember which one. If I come across it again I'll let you know unless you've got one. Giant Stingray is cool.
Sean

sean138 said:
Hammond Eggz said:

Thanks! I saw banana seats for 26ers on one of the parts sites. Can't remember which one. If I come across it again I'll let you know unless you've got one. Giant Stingray is cool.
Sean
southern cali bikes has those seats! 26" 20" 16" check them out, there prices are low too, used them many times. Greg

Back