'78 Good Vibrations (serial number question 3/27)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driving by the local antique strip mall today I noticed a few "new" bikes in with the normal worthless lot they have. Saw a cantilever framed bike and turned around to see what it was. Turned out to be this Huffy Good Vibrations that seems to be all original(minus fenders?). The bike cost about what you'd pay for the Wald double basket online shipped. The tires have great tread and the sidewalls are very "checked" in true rat fashion. I pulled the basket and deflectorized the bike, but it still needs a cleaning. Wheels have just the slightest peppering of rust which will clean up no problem. Not sure yet if I'll ride as is or strip it down and repaint.

Would this have originally had fenders on it? If so, black or chrome? My dad had a his/hers pair of GVs in red & blue and they both had fenders. Doesn't matter much to me. Just curious.

Anyway, here it. First pic as found.

8ddbe4066f3a48898debf93718ab0f07.JPG

61b24b656aff48a78a06691c1aa3f5e7.JPG

Re: '78 Good Vibrations

being that its a huffy it may or may not have come with fenders. it looks pretty untouched so it probably never had them. i bought a huffy as a parts bike that didnt have any fenders. no biggy. buy some chromes and and bolt em up

Thanks for the input, guys. :D I may have to pick up a cheap pair of black Pyramid fenders sometime, but maybe I won't. :roll: I do want to get some different handlebars and a laid-back seat post. The bike rides really nice, but I'd like a little more breathing room. This will probably be my bike that I can throw on the back of the 'Burban and not have to worry too much about theft or stone chips, etc.

This one came with no fenders originally....

100_1260.jpg

and neither did this one....

100_1010.jpg

S3600060-1.jpg
Mine also came without fenders, was a 6 speed now a 5 speed, The rims on it are from a Ross Mount St.Helen mountain bike. Forks are from a newer Schwinn

I finally got around to stripping the remainder of the original foam grips off. I replaced them with a pair of Bell "Cruiser" torpedo-style grips from WM. They look pretty cool on there to me and they have a really nice feel to them. I'll have to get a pic in daylight.

Though I'm not in any hurry, I'm still debating on picking up a set of black fenders. I love full fenders on a cruiser, but part of me wants to just leave this thing bare bones simple. I don't know. :wink:

yeah, i got a 79', and i really dig them. they have a great laxed frame geometry that feels right. here is mine...

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

this is the way i had it a year ago, but decided to part it out for the better good, but soon after i put this together...

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

i call it "menacing vibrations", cuz with the ratty ol' 52tooth monark chainring i through on it, ain't nothin good about it anymore. i know at least one other person around here who can shoehorn a 52tooth monark chainring under that stoch chainguard, to give due props.

you've got a sweet bike there! :D

It took a little "tweaking" and adjusting to get my 52 T Monark ring to clear but I think the time was worth it. The look and the gearing made a big improvement.

Looking at all these Huffy's....I really feel they look great with or without fenders. As Roadmaster said, the frame geometry seemd very relaxed. I know through all the changes I've put mine through, with all the different bars/ stems/ forks, it always is a comfortable rider.

I wish I never sold the white one I had...the black one will never leave!

RZ94 said:
It took a little "tweaking" and adjusting to get my 52 T Monark ring to clear but I think the time was worth it. The look and the gearing made a big improvement.

Looking at all these Huffy's....I really feel they look great with or without fenders. As Roadmaster said, the frame geometry seemd very relaxed. I know through all the changes I've put mine through, with all the different bars/ stems/ forks, it always is a comfortable rider.

I wish I never sold the white one I had...the black one will never leave!

yeah, im running that 52 back to a single speed 20tooth, so its not the best bike for the hills around here. :lol:
i dig that look as well, but it went in easier than the 50tooth (a seperated huffy 10speed dual chainring) i tucked in under the chainguard of my 86' murray monterey with the 6speed hyperglide rear gear cluster. :shock:
never gonna let mine go either and if only huffy went back to the GV frame geometry. :roll:

I'm running 52/20 as well, but I do have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub out back. Makes a BIG difference!!!
And I agree, I wish they would go back to our frame geometry....so much more comfortable!!!!

The frame geometry is nice for riding, but also makes for a sweet looking frame. It's funny how with all the different cantilever frames that have been made over the years that very subtle differences in angles, bends, etc. can make such a difference in appearance. I was looking at my Murrays and comparing them to this Huffy. The Murray has a pretty dramatic bend to the cantilever tubes, while the Huffy has a much smoother, sleeker bend. I really like this bike.

Murray vs. Huffy
100_1912.jpg

61b24b656aff48a78a06691c1aa3f5e7.jpg

blacksheep said:
The frame geometry is nice for riding, but also makes for a sweet looking frame. It's funny how with all the different cantilever frames that have been made over the years that very subtle differences in angles, bends, etc. can make such a difference in appearance. I was looking at my Murrays and comparing them to this Huffy. The Murray has a pretty dramatic bend to the cantilever tubes, while the Huffy has a much smoother, sleeker bend. I really like this bike.

Murray vs. Huffy
100_1912.jpg

61b24b656aff48a78a06691c1aa3f5e7.jpg

totally agree! my 79' huffy GV is 2nd best only to my 59-60 amf roadmaster. the worse are new cruisers, like chinese made anything and even my 93' murray westport has lines similar to your pictured murray, which i really like.

Back