70's Tecumseh Motor help..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got out my old mini-bike.. I got it running easily. However, i dont even hit the throttle and its like stuck wide open.. on the carb the throttle is at like.. minimum i guess you could say, it only runs on choke, no matter how long i let it warm up.. i sprayed cleaner in it.. Im thinking somthings stuck open. Ill post pics when my laptops out of the shop, but does anyone have any diagrams for the engine on my 73 rupp roadster mini bike? Tecumseh 3hp motor.. Pull start.. uhh idk what else to put. ANY hints or tips would be appreciated.. Im stumped. :? THANKS..

clogged main jet along with stuck linkage? Sounds like it needs to be torn down and gone thru, along with checking the gov. linkage, and throttle cable.

And i dunno if now is a good time to sell, but i just sold a 68 rupp that needed restored and was pleasantly surprised at what it sold for!

I own a similar motor as well as a 72 merc 7.5 h.p outboard. I have always found that taking off the carb and going through it seems to work wonders. Also give it fresh clean gas. My outboard will not opperate unless I do this every spring,and my lawn mower acts like it has seasonal effective disorder unless I give it the treatment. Sould take less than an hour to complete not counting the cleaning portion. Hope this helps

Thanks much fellas.. Well i got some balls, and tore into it, i took off my carb, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together.. I got it to run fairly well, however, it sputters and dies if the rpms get to high, i fixed the idle issue, the screw on my govener (think its called that.. the lil triangle lookin thing.. u can rev the piss out the motor with it lol) but i got that good.. i screwd with the air fuel mixture screws, she still sputterd but i could keep it goin, and feather the throttle to keep it running as i was goin down the road. After a day well.. night of screwing with it and riding.. i was about a block from home, and it died. It took like forever to get it runnin.. and it would go 20 feet and die.. I think its running to rich and it fouled out my plug.. im about to take my head off and clean it up.. Idk. WISH ME LUCK. i gotta figure out my air fuel mixture.. i also found out, i need to adjust my breaks o_o i almost hit a telephone pole ..... Ill hopefully get my laptop back tomorrow and put some pics of it on here. THANKS FOR HELP AGAIN!!! :D

BTW.. It feels so .... good to fix somthing like this yourself.. my first like attempt with an engine and whatnot.. fixed my lawnmower too. go me! ;D

oh! and does anyone know where i can get a new diaphram for my carb? the little rubber thing..

Your carb is probably gummed up from sitting with gas in it.I would take it all apart and soak it in gas or solvent overnight. If you use a air blower to help clean you need to watch where the float needle seats. Sometimes the seat is rubber and will blow away , sometimes they are brass and you get lucky . Try to find a thin piece of wire and run it through all the jet holes.You shouldnt have messed with the fuel/air mixture screw without knowing where it was. From screwed all the way into the carb, they usually come out 2 1/2 turns. Then its about listening to your motor to fine tune it. The rubber bowl ring you should be able to get at any lawnmower service place. Tecumseh is out of business but parts are available. If you lived closer i have a few laying around.if you run an air filter make sure its clean and not really soaked with oil or full of dirt, If you dont run one, get one. Some newer motors wont run right without them.Plus there is no point in riding off road without one and filling your freshly cleaned carb full of dirt.For the throttle sticking open, it sounds like the throttle spring has come off.if you cant find the o-ring you need for the bowl anywhere send me a pm with the engine model # and ill see what i can ship one for.

Back