70's Krate questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone can clear this up for me.
From my research I've successfully ( I think ) decoded the build dates on the bikes. However something doesn't make sense to me. Both were bought in 1970 and from my readings on the net the Pea Picker and Cotton Picker were both made in 70.

Here's where I get confused :

- Everything I've read says the 70 model years have the SN on the fork tube. The Pea has that there and , if I'm right was made in June 70 FF. The Cotton does not have the SN on the fork tube, it has it on the rear of the bike and my decoding says Dec. 69 ME. Is there such a thing as a 69 Cotton? I know these are unmolested for the most part because my family bought them new. After talking to my family again after picking these up,everyone is sure they were bought in the beg - mid June. My mother thinks she still has the paperwork from them ( she saves everything) and said she'd locate it for me hopefully before my visit for the holidays.

- Then there's the subtle differences.... The Pea has a smooth side on only one side of the shifter where as the cotton has ridges on both sides.

sounds like the cotton may be early '70 with one of the leftover 69 frames? could be it was in stock from the beginning of the year and didn't sell till june.. :?

Yeah, it definitely seems correct. They would have had them out for the Christmas '69 season as a 1970 model.

I used anglefire for the link... I used it to figure them out but was unsure about the 69 date on a 70-71 model year bike...

That makes sense about the model year!!! Now comes the question of the shifter? The Cotton has horizontal grooves on both sides of the shifter with 3 oblong holes however the Pea has the identical shifter except on one side it is perfectly smooth ( no horizontal grooves ). Every pic I can find on the net has grooves on both sides. I know it wasn't replaced. has anyone seen these or know about them? seems the shifter should have them on both sides.

Any insight?

here's a pic of both sides of the shifter;

P1020214_zps7df9c4a0.jpg

P1020213_zps76859a29.jpg

Back