7 Speed Schwinn Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I just built a single speed Klunker and now I want to build a 7 speed. Is it possible and what advice can you give? I have a 1958 Schwinn American frame, forks and cranks. Thank you

It's certainly possible...but perhaps not so simple. Using a wheel with an internal gear hub (like a Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 7) is probably the simplest route. Adding a clamp-on style derailleur is anther alternative that comes with its own set of challenges. (For one thing, the original Schwinn chainring uses 1/8" single speed chain.)

Another obstacle that many planners overlook is the need for brakes. Your vintage frame almost certainly came equipped with a coaster...and coasters don't work with derailleurs. Not insurmountable, but more problems to solve. A multi-speed IGH w/ coaster makes for a nice clean installation.

It's certainly possible...but perhaps not so simple. Using a wheel with an internal gear hub (like a Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 7) is probably the simplest route. Adding a clamp-on style derailleur is anther alternative that comes with its own set of challenges. (For one thing, the original Schwinn chainring uses 1/8" single speed chain.)

Another obstacle that many planners overlook is the need for brakes. Your vintage frame almost certainly came equipped with a coaster...and coasters don't work with derailleurs. Not insurmountable, but more problems to solve. A multi-speed IGH w/ coaster makes for a nice clean installation.
That is something to think about. I have also considered making it a ten speed and using a different crankset. Will my frame accommodate that set up?

It could... There are certainly bikes that might work as a reasonable donor for a one-piece crank. In fact, a Schwinn Varsity from the '70s is common, cheap, and can supply a lot of parts for a potential build. Of course, such a build adds even more complexity with its front derailleur.

Oh wait...are you suggesting a modern 10-speed cassette or a traditional 5x2 setup? If it's the former, then yes there are adapter kits sold that convert the Schwinn's bottom bracket to accept a square-taper cartridge. Just about anything is possible, if you throw enough money at it.

Last edited:
It could... There are certainly bikes that might work as a reasonable donor for a one-piece crank. In fact, a Schwinn Varsity from the '70s is common, cheap, and can supply a lot of parts for a potential build. Of course, such a build adds even more complexity with its front derailleur.

Oh wait...are you suggesting a modern 10-speed cassette or a traditional 5x2 setup? If it's the former, then yes there are adapter kits sold that convert the Schwinn's bottom bracket to accept a square-taper cartridge. Just about anything is possible, if you throw enough money at it.
I was thinking a traditional 5 x 2 setup. But either will do if it achieves the affect I’m looking for. Not sure if both are possible and if one is more desirable than the other. I am considering commuting to work by bike and my single speed Klunker would make it hard on the stretches where it is hilly.

Back