62 Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up last night!
photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Those double straight bars are great.
Good looking find!

Thats a '62 Typhoon frame (one year only), not to be confused with the Tornado which was the 'other' double straight bar from that era. The 'straight bars' on the Typhoon extend all the way to the rear dropouts (like this one) as opposed to the Tornado which had seperate 'straight bars' from seat tube to down tube.

Thanks guys! Nope not a skipper. I started into the breakdown process last night. First thing that happened....headset bolt broke just above the wedge :x I guess it wouldn't be right if everything came apart smooth!

This frame is just as if they took a cantilever and straightened out the front end. Love it, though! good luck with those bars, we've been there :lol:

itchybird said:
Thats a '62 Typhoon frame (one year only), not to be confused with the Tornado which was the 'other' double straight bar from that era. The 'straight bars' on the Typhoon extend all the way to the rear dropouts (like this one) as opposed to the Tornado which had seperate 'straight bars' from seat tube to down tube.

That was how it was supposed to be, but the factory workers weren't as picky between the two designs. I've seen a Skipper with the Typhoon frame (original paint & decals), and vice versa, at least a few came out that way, or had damaged chainguards swapped out! regardless, sweet bike! -Adam

a friend of mine has one but he says that when he got it it said tornado not typhoon. but according to the numbers it is from 62. are these balloon or middle weight. he has balloon on his. sorry for the next question but what do you mean when you say skipper? is it skiptooth

Skippers, Typhoons, Tornado's -all are middle weights. General wisdom is that this type double bar is a Typhoon, but i have seen a beautiful orig paint Skipper with this frame.

axsepul said:
a friend of mine has one but he says that when he got it it said tornado not typhoon. but according to the numbers it is from 62. are these balloon or middle weight. he has balloon on his. sorry for the next question but what do you mean when you say skipper? is it skiptooth

Other than the pedals and seat bolt, I'm pretty sure the bike was stock. The chain guard says typhoon.

itchybird said:
Skippers, Typhoons, Tornado's -all are middle weights. General wisdom is that this type double bar is a Typhoon, but i have seen a beautiful orig paint Skipper with this frame.

Yep, the Typhoon actually replaced the Tornado for '62. There was a 63 Skipper, but it had a regular canti frame, along with the 63 and later Typhoon. I believe the few Skippers and Tornados with the continuous twin bars were all 61's. I suspect it was easier to make it that way, rather than have to tack on the twin bars separately. -Adam

man thats awesome what is that springer from and where can i get one that looks amazing on that style bike. i have one with apes myself

Back