60s Western Flyer picked up day of Monson Meet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
hey all!

I picked up this Western Flyer on the way home from the Monson Mass meet. Just finished it last night after receiving a cool lay back seatpost that BigPantsBob welded up for me. Thanks Bob!

I forget who on this forum I got the chainguard from, but it couldn't be more perfect for the bike; looks original. The bike is a middleweight, but I managed to squeeze 2.125s off a 80s Huffy Good Vibration. The bars are bmx with the middle portion hack sawed out. The stem is a neat bmx stem found on FleeceBay.

All I did was ScotchBrite the entire bike and rub down with an oily rag to bring out some of the remaining graphics. I had the tank light working, then it quit, then it worked again, and alas, quit again. Screw it, I'm not fiddling with it anymore. The chainring is from the Huffy cruiser too. I added some crusty truss rods I had laying around and made studs to attach them so I could use some old cap nuts to hold them in place.

The saddle bags are horse saddle tack bags, cut down the middle, separated and hemmed and attached with brass cap nuts. I sewed on some motorcycle patches that never made it to my leather jacket. The raspberry reflector came from a prewar BFG.

After rotating the fender to tail-dragger status, I filled in the missing part with part of another fender that I made a bracket to attach at the chain stays, and double side taped it to the larger fender.

looking forward to cruising on this one. Maiden voyage will be May 3rd in New London. cheers

before:

3378471283_fed7ce064d_o.jpg

after:

3482428205_25c99288c5_b.jpg

3482420563_1d6694c1fd_b.jpg

3482412181_267624c3ee_b.jpg

3483233154_f7460e6a9d_b.jpg

3483234956_d6620b1ac5_b.jpg

3482411285_1c3c1a10af_b.jpg

3482424501_9be992c678_b.jpg

3483243598_f80b7330f1_b.jpg

3483242818_84e5f71412_b.jpg

3482425503_3cbfb018e9_b.jpg

3483237986_e95e5fe17c_b.jpg

3483245586_dc3c20c541_b.jpg

3483232280_1721fc2735_b.jpg

it's first task was to ride to end of block and tow this beauty for thatismytruck (Skip) score! will look great next to his Airstream

3483246636_e9073211c1_b.jpg

Wow!! Ian it looks fab!!! Now that's a tail dragger!!!!

Thanks for getting the lounge chair. Wife will use it well as soon as I find an appropriate cushion. I might have to polish it up, paint the arm rests flamingo pink and change the wheels though.

Beautiful! That's a mean looking bike! I think you should try the original seat on there, it would probably fit in with the style really nicely.

pink armrests, good idea Skip. maybe pin striped too. it's begging for white lettered tires with a mag-style center.

the original seat for the Western Flyer is toast. I was eyeballing it, and sort of like it, but it's mondo uncomfortable and I have not practiced redoing seats yet.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
the original seat for the Western Flyer is toast. I was eyeballing it, and sort of like it, but it's mondo uncomfortable and I have not practiced redoing seats yet.

Oh, I was kind of wondering the second time I looked at the original shot. That's too bad... Still an awesome bike, either way it's super cool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love those handlebars... are those custom made? I haven't seen a set like that before with the odd bend/cuts before the grips.

Perfect bike. Lots of cool details showing somebody had made that bike theirs. I like the Van's mudflap.

Unchained said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:

Oh, I was kind of wondering the second time I looked at the original shot. That's too bad... Still an awesome bike, either way it's super cool. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love those handlebars... are those custom made? I haven't seen a set like that before with the odd bend/cuts before the grips.

they were department store bmx bike handlebars, and I cut the middle of the top bar out. I think they resemble z-bars this way. hack I know, but that's my style - hack.

thanks Cman :)

very nice. wonder what it would look like with a full front fender like the back.

Outlaw

PURRRRFECT!

I really like the lines of the frame and the wheels are awesome. That's one nice chair! :roll: :wink: Nice bike too.

Back