'59 Schwinn Jaguar Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
REASSEMBLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I couldn't resist. With a little time off before setting sail, and the kids all in school...I decided to do some light reassembly. Nothing too serious, but I got the brake calipers back together and readied. Yeay!!! :D My schematic was a little ....ahem...off, somehow. But the detailed pics I have helped.

IMG_3449.jpg

I also pulled some of the bearings and cups out of their baggies and applied a little light 3-n-1 oil to help keep them happy over the next few cold months in the garage, and to stave off any rust that might want to begin it's nasty growth while I'm gone.

Now, with a few more days left before departure, I am faced with deciding if I should begn to build the thing back up if time allows? Hmmm...

Cameron...best advice I've heard in a while! You are right.

So today I tore everything back open and began to prepare to rea$$emble! :D What a feeling!

I got a few things done in the AM, but then had to pause for bearing grease. Here are a few items that I was able to ready early this morning.

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

Went to Pro Cyclery (where they're a -1 for me right now, and always kinda snooty) to get the grease and a Spanner Wrench. They had no bearing grease (unless I wanted a $26 jar of it that could do 75 bikes). Now they were -2 in my book. Bought a Spanner Wrench. I also asked the shop girl about any advice for bottom bracket rea$$embly, and that question produced Mr. Snooty himself. He did offer some okay advice, nothing specific, but stuff like 'get the bearings in the cups the right way' and stuff that my 6 year old could figure out. He did however say that I didn't need the spanner wrench for the old style Schwinn bottom bracket. I got a refund and left the wrench a little worried. Skip to later...he was right. I didn't need it. So that's a +1 for them in the bucket...which now puts them back at -1 overall.

Drove to another small store nearby and got the grease.

I'm following Mr. Love's book to the letter...it is very helpful! He is concise and clear, and it makes rea$$embly very simple. I was able to get all the bearings dry fitted, checked, greased and the bottom bracket and head tube stuff put back together! It really went together quite easily, and without much difficulty. Yay!!! :mrgreen: I do hope I got all the bearings right, but the action is smooth and sweet.

IMG_3453.jpg

Following that I got the stem back in and tightened and put the seat and old handlebars back on so I could flip the bike and work on a more stable platform (as Mr. Love suggests). Here is how she sits now. Kickstand is in too.

IMG_3454.jpg

So now I am literally at the mercy of the USPS for my new bars, fender brace screws, and cables...and Al at Bike World starts his week today and I'm sure is just getting started on my two wheel sets. I can only hope that I get a few more parts in so I can continue. I would love to have her sitting on her tires before leaving in a few more days.

And like Cameron said, maybe even get in a quick ride before it's time to go! :mrgreen:

Looks great! :D What did you do about your chainguard :? I hope you kept it chrome! :mrgreen:

Good and bad news....

Good news first:

The stuff from Memory Lane arrived today!!

IMG_3455.jpg

I got those old rusty bars off and got the new ones on. Now we're starting to look like a Schwinn!

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

Got the fender braces on as well!

IMG_3458.jpg

After a little referencing the old pictures, and some new and old bolts and nuts...I got the fenders and calipers back on and in place! I can't believe how well she is looking now! :mrgreen:

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

The Bad news:

Talked with Al at Bike World...the rear wheel is done, but he ran out of the 'nice spokes' he's putting on for me, and has to order more. Looks like they'll be done sometime next week. My wife will have to pick them up. :( Oh well, it was a valiant effort, and I am really excited about how I've progressed so far. She is looking really cool!

I'll be dreaming of that first ride for my entire deployment!

Just went out in the garage to have a look. Must be the pic, as there is a slope on the driveway. There is definitely more fender on the 'rider side' Vs out front. That would be entirely possible though guys...this is my first build! I'll keep an eye out as this develops. I did however try to put the crank in on the wrong side upside down...but I caught that!

EDIT: disregard above... I think you guys are right!

Okay...so I was just checking to make sure you guys were paying attention. Apparently you were. :oops:

I couldn't let her sit for three months with a backwards fender, so last night I got it back on correctly! I also got the chain cleaned up and oiled for storage, and the 'not-correct' pedals ready as well.

Here she is! See ya guys on the forum here, and more posts soon. ~Nate

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

All your work is paying off... the bike looks great.

Thank You, be careful out there, and come home safe!

GREAT RESTO HOMIE !!!!
HERES SOME MOTIVATION NOT THE SAME BUT CLOSE
2011-01-22123526.jpg

DSC09866.jpg

A good part about being deployed to the Mid East, is that they have WiFi here on base! Just bought some Large Cap Bow Pedals from someone on another forum. Unfortunately, I cannot post pics.

Hey guys, I made it back from the desert and have completed the bike! No details as I've been working a lot on it the past few days, so here is the completed project! Tank still needs some notches and work, but everything else came together nicely!

Thanks for the help!

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

Back