'55 or '56 Schwinn.. any way to verify which?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest score comes back as a '55 or '56.. is there a way to tell for sure, as well as what the model name is?

..."that fork though," right? :21: that's what i'm saying lol. quite the unit.

That's twice I've seen the look up tool get it wrong. As for model, looking at the 55 catalog it could be one of several models. If there is original paint under there, you might pick out some details which will narrow it down. It looks like the original black is under the red and maybe wasn't sanded down before the repaint. They painted the chrome, headbadge, and everything so I think you can bring the good Schwinn paint back. The chain guard may still have the model name there. The forks may be good also, unless they crushed the ends chopping it.

http://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat/flschwinn_1951_1960/index.html

Last edited:
..If there is original paint under there, you might pick out some details which will narrow it down. It looks like the original black is under the red and maybe wasn't sanded down before the repaint. They painted the chrome, headbadge, and everything so I think you can bring the good Schwinn paint back.

thanks for the responses. it's actually green paint hiding under the hasty red rattle can coating. even the grips are green.

probably going to keep the finish "ratty", but i'm going to see how far through the red i can get with some sanding over the winter.

The Schwinn paint was baked on so it'll be tougher than the repaint. You might use some oven cleaner to get the red off.

Yeah in-between 55 and like 7, if the letter is repeated, look at the number sets.. the numbers can be a little confusing, but you'll nail it down with the right set of numbers, at site that list them while the tool, does not filter em well enough.
As for that fork, In the 60's we'd chop off crappy murray/huffy forks and screw as many as we could on. Some people were lucky enough to have a welder nearby.

Regardless looks like ya got a combination of 3 forks on it,, Schwinn to Murray to a 10 speed into 60's chopper version.

interesting. here's a closeup:

Huh?, yeah there's only two. in the other photo I'd thought I saw a bit of a 10 speed chromed fork sticking out.

and add, 3 forks always were a tough nut to crack. Could pull it off on a stingray, but had to keep your weight forward otherwise ya'd flip over and crack da head open.

What? we was experimenting in da good ol'dayz from slamming nails through girls skates on 2 by 4's and moving on to chopper bicycles. Including an idealistic, super long extension, Rat Fink dragster style. Chopped up a whole slew O' cheap butt forks that would side onto a Schwinn fork. .

Back