53-56 Western Flyer X53**UPDATE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
53-56 Western Flyer X53, 26"

Just pulled this one out of a shed.

The old guy asked me to swing by, because he had an old bike for me to look at. I could'nt believe this is what was sitting there. It's now mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

WOW!! Great score.
I'll take the basket if you part it out. :p

That's one of THE Classics. What are your plans for it, clean; restore?

That's one of THE Classics. What are your plans for it, clean; restore?

Thanks guys, I feel lucky to have had this one cross my path.

Plans are to try and stay true to the bike. So much is original down to the grips and jewelled peddles. I suppose what I'm after is a cool X53 (survivor), that tells the story of it's life.

Plans: I think I can message alot of the surface rust, so, cleaning and messaging is a priority, the seat isn't as bad as it looks in the pic, so will try and work with it. Get rid of basket, replace the tires, new chain, then finally, start looking for the frt. fender headlight, and rear fender reflector trim, and horn assembly.

Last edited:
Nice save brother. You find some cool stuff. Take care man.

then finally, start looking for the frt. fender headlight, and rear fender reflector trim, and horn assembly.

Join @Big Ape and me on the hunt for those parts. There's repop ones on ebay sold by Jerry and Jerry but og parts are really hard to find. Congrats on the find!!! Nice looking bike!!! Here are the two mens bikes i have. I believe the gold and black x53's are 57-58
60691cf2f84f51088682b12cc5a4243e.jpg
ba7860e13d034e04c01dd013bccb94d4.jpg

Yeah, I finally got a chainguard for mine! I bought a real nice springer on ebay for $50 (it was listed incorrectly). It will go with my bare frame. I will not even try to complete that bike back to original. I have not been willing to pay the price for original lights or reflector housing for my other bike. And, I haven't relugated myself to buy the repops either.

REAL NICE BIKE oldfart!! I think that if I ever freshen my mostly complete bike up, I may go with the black/gold/chrome paint scheme!

Started cleaning and messaging today, very pleased with how it's coming. It's slow, but going good.

I truly appreciate all the input, and welcome more. The one thing I will not do is "repop" ! The bike came original, so parts put on it must be period to the piece, and correct. If I can't find them at the time, they just won't be there. Nothing better then my brothers and friends on the board, thank you for your support!!!!

Will update, but it will take a week or so!

Last edited:
If you only like original, period to the piece and correct, you would hate my bikes for the most part.:21:
I also would love to find the "correct" light for mine, but for the time being a glowing skull suits my purposes more than two empty holes in the fender.

The bikes I've seen of yours, I like. I just want this one to go the original route, and if it kills me, it will.

Here I go again, you know, that "never say never" thing again, always ends up biting me in the butt.;)

Last edited:
Very nice, I had really good results bringing back my Hawthorne finish with WD40 then rubbing compound and finishing with ICE car wax.

Very nice, I had really good results bringing back my Hawthorne finish with WD40 then rubbing compound and finishing with ICE car wax.

Yep, WD40, fine steelwool, touck of lacquer thinner (some old spilled paint in spots on bike) and lots of elbow grease. Hopefully this makes the survivor come out.

Last edited:
Very nice!!!!Theres one floating around my neighborhood every month.Ive been droolin over it for a while now.Just missin the whole rear rack but the patina is incredible.Hpoe to score it,as these are some of the radder bikes out there.

Very nice!!!!Theres one floating around my neighborhood every month.Ive been droolin over it for a while now.Just missin the whole rear rack but the patina is incredible.Hpoe to score it,as these are some of the radder bikes out there.

Right now, my elbows are sore, worked on the bike all day yesterday. You are right, I've always thought the X53's were super cool, just never dreamed I would come across one in this way.

Seems around here we're flooded with the more basic bikes hanging in barns and sheds.

Back