52 Schwinn project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current project. Hopefully will be a daily rider for me and my daughter. I wanted a vintage styled cruiser and this 52 Schwinn popped up. Serial number F12812. It's currently on unrestored white S-7 rims. It has on it presently a cloverleaf sprocket and if i'm to believe the seller, it was initially on a skiptooth sweetheart sprocket. I do have the sweetheart sprocket (unrestored with minimal rust) and chain to go with it. The springer fork is a little rough and was painted poorly, much like the rest of the bike, with Rustoleum according to the seller.The rubber bushing is totally shot and was painted over since it was never disassembled prior to painting. The fork itself is crooked, but rides nice enough. Personally, i would have bought it rusted and never "saved" as he put it. Handlebars are unrestored, but pretty clean and i hate them. Seat is faded, but in good shape aside from some weak springs (or maybe i'm just a fatbody). Grips are intact, but a bit crusty.

My questions so far:
1. Does a skiptooth sprocket and chain work with regular sprockets and such? Do i have to track down a new rear wheel hub or will this chain work with what i've got?
2. What should i look for as far a chain guard if i get one to replace the current? I would need one that fits the sweetheart, right?
3. Is it possible that the springer fork isn't actually crooked, but may need adjusting? I am only familiar with the springer on my other bike and it's dead-on straight and a lot firmer spring than this one. Is this a common ailment?
4. How the heck do i get these grips off the handlebars?
5. Is it possible to remove the cover on the seat to upholster with something else and keep the current cover intact?
6. I have a spoke or two missing. Is there any value in original spokes or should i feel free to replace them with new ones? Is there a walkthrough on how to line them up somewhere?
7. Is there a good comprehensive walkthrough on regular maintenance for a bike of this age?

My plans for this bike:
Large as i can find, cheaply, ape hangers.
Color coordinated grips, pedals, accessories (headlight, mirrors, etc.)
If i find a tank with a horn i might try that, otherwise i'm going to drop a wood panel in it's place and match that up.
Black the bike out aside from white wall tires.
Add a babyseat so my copilot has a primo spot to sit with her Daddy while we cruise. I might taylor the color scheme to whatever seat i get. Was thinking a vintage bike seat would be cool, but they usually seem to be lacking safety straps.

I really do want to keep it simple. I don't want a lowrider, but i do want a nice Stingray kind of look/feel to it. If anyone has any resources, thoughts, ideas, tips on how to get a new bushing for the fork on the cheap, etc. please post up or get in touch. The bike is 100% rideable and aside from a seat adjustment and some air in the tires i can take her out any old time.

I've also included a picture of my Krate clone that i picked up from Toys R Us a few years back. I love the bike, but i'm not the same size i was when i bought it so i kind of feel a little silly on it. I'm pickin it up this week to service it and get it back in riding shape and maybe swap out a few things. Wish someone had not stolen the headlight. That was my favorite addition.

Thanks for checking my post out!

I have been learning a lot about these old bikes this last week or so. This morning i loaded my daughter into the Beetle and we headed off to Erlton Bikes in Cherry Hill, NJ which is luckily only 20min away. What they lacked in in-stock items, they were more than efficient with pulling out catalogs and locating parts for builds like this little one. I was smart enough to bring my cruiser handlebars with me and ordered a set of 13" black ape hangers. I'm going to hit the flea market this weekend sometime, but i wanted to make sure i had ONE item if nothing else that i know i could definitely find and install and get this ride rolling. They had sold out of their ape hangers this past week, so it would have to be ordered. What the heck else am i going to do with a $50 Visa gift card, right? So half of that on the bars and the rest is going toward a helmet. My wife refuses to ride with me if i don't have one, and i can't ride without one if i have the kid with us, so helmet it is. They had this old Bell helmet it size "ridiculously large" for my mega noggin and it's poop brown with a sushi on it.

This brings me to my next questions.

1. I am missing 2 spokes on my S-7 rims. Assuming i am competent enough to remove the front wheel, tire, etc., can i just order a set of spokes and pop 2 in the vacant spots? It would be a good opportunity to try and learn how to true a wheel as i've never done it before.

2. I want fenders. I do not care what they look like (rust, paint, chrome are all okay IMO) so long as they are minimally dented if at all and fit properly. How do i know what size to get to know that they will fit? I see stuff on Amazon and ebay, but i feel they are all too expensive and i have already invested a few $$ in the bike as it is.

3. I'm not sure if my bearings were repacked in the "saving" done by the previous owner. Am i correct in thinking that i can remove the bolt on the crank and just give it a peek and see what's what? I know i can do the repack myself, but i do not have the proper tools to do so aside from wrenches and screwdrivers and the like. If the bearings are in good shape, but need to be cleaned and repacked, so i need to remove the bearing cups or could i skate by with just tending to the bearings themselves?

That covers my questions, so here's the next dilemma. As i've now bought this bike, my Inlaws have now told me that they have a pair of 30+ year old Schwinns (his/hers) in the rafters of their garage. I really wish they had mentioned this before i bought the darn 52. I may have held off. Now we do not know what kind of bikes are up there or the condition they are in, but i'm sure they are well taken care of if i know my Father Inlaw. I'd wager they only need a tuneup and a polishing. When i pick up my Krate Klone from their place i'll likely grab both of those bikes as post back when i see what we've got. I'm looking forward to our first family bike outing. 3 adults and 4 bikes to choose from is not a bad situation.

If anyone can help me with my questions, i would be very grateful. Even links to some stuff i have missed are appreciated. Thanks all!

fineexampl said:
4. How the h*** do i get these grips off the handlebars?
Take an open end wrench just big enough to go over the handle bar and place it on the bar next to the grip and give it a few taps with a hammer, then fetch the grip when it flys across the yard. Easy.
fineexampl said:
I have a spoke or two missing. Is there any value in original spokes or should i feel free to replace them with new ones? Is there a walkthrough on how to line them up somewhere?

Check youtube, they have a video for everything, as far as value to old spokes if they don't work they don't work I say replace them. shouldn't make any differance, if anything they up the value of the bike because you know it's safer with new spokes.

fineexampl said:
7. Is there a good comprehensive walkthrough on regular maintenance for a bike of this age?

I actually have this one printed framed and hanging in my room
1959_panther2.jpg

fineexampl said:
If anyone has any resources, thoughts, ideas, tips on how to get a new bushing for the fork on the cheap, etc. please post up or get in touch.
I don't know of anyplace that sells replacement bushings for a springer but if you find a skateboard, remove the bushings from the trucks (part wheels go on) it works just as well. :wink:

fineexampl said:
another question...how fat can i go if i replace these wheels?

I have run a 2.125 tire on a Schwinn middleweight frame with no problem. I'd say a 2.35 would be as big as you can go without frame mods as long as your rim is super straight.

3 wheeled wolfy said:
People have re-upholstered seats, dig through the forum. We believe in you!
I've been looking. I'm thinking of molding some leather onto the seat i have or scavenging for a spare at some point to cover in leather to mimic some of the high end seats. I can't see spending $100 on a seat. $20, maybe, but i'd much rather put an extra $20 in a handmade job.

Thanks folks. :D

Those expensive brooks your talking about are worth it if you use it a lot, and some people switch them between bikes.

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Those expensive brooks your talking about are worth it if you use it a lot, and some people switch them between bikes.
Yeah, i may end up getting one at some point, but i'm not as much of a rider as i used to be. I'm babystepping this little hobby. I spent the morning scouring leather working and sourcing spots i might buy some. I think it'll be fun to see what i can come up with. I'm just trying to see if i want to rip up the vintage Schwinn seat or try and find a crummy one and play with that.

Going to try and hit up the flea market in the AM. Maybe get lucky.

I here you, I spread myself thin with hobbies. I would experiment with something else first, in the true Rat spirit you can even use heavy canvas or something else non-traditional. I want to try a mexican blanket. :D

3 wheeled wolfy said:
I here you, I spread myself thin with hobbies. I would experiment with something else first, in the true Rat spirit you can even use heavy canvas or something else non-traditional. I want to try a mexican blanket. :D
It crossed my mind, until i saw someone redid a seat in blue jeans and i cringed.

I've seen a couple spots online with rear wheels for a skiptooth setup. Is it possible just to get a sprocket and retrofit that to my currrent hub and swap that sweetheart back on there or will i need the entire hub?

Back