52 dx?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my new favorite bike last night. I have bought hundreds of bikes in my life this one i was most excited for. I saw it on CL on sunday 5 hours after it was posted. I was kicking myself because i normally watch hourly on weekends. At a $200 asking price I knew it would be long gone but i emailed him anyway to say I will take it. Monday morning he calls while I'm in meetings and I don't call him until after lunch. He says he still has it and its mine even though i can't pick it up until 8pm! I head over and start to get a feeling that this is a scam....if it seems to good to be true routine, I figure no one holds a bike for over 24 hours that's worth twice what he's asking. I get there and make my kid wait in the car in case i get jumped, still went in mind you, but that's where my head was at. He's a cool British dude (which added to scepticism on the phone) who asks me what the tank is and what's the button is for[emoji15]. It's missing a few parts so he takes $180 for it, even though he had been getting "desperate calls" all day. True gentlemen, I'm embarrassed to say , I would not have handled the same situation with near as much class. It was in peices and missing a few parts so I slapped it together right away.....by slap I mean greased all the bearings. The guy was selling it for a neighbor born in 34 who swears he bought it in 48, the serial number suggests 52. I still need to put on the chain and decent pedals and recover a seat. I love this bike!
e565485244385a488beeaa0fa5bb588b.jpg
4a18b0c76a790afc50c1155b898acb2d.jpg
2259cbfbfdaff9d38ca6cbf4b1b96bb5.jpg
503893edc44395b16b759426902b7154.jpg
ab769840cd83a5a75a4843e18ef7edcf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Great bike !!! And the story behind it adds to the excitement , congratulations man [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like most Schwinns I have found have been 52's very busy year . Ther are still some good bikes out ther .
Good people man .

~ Rafael ~

Last edited:
The numbers before August 48 were burned up. But you can estimate by backing up the numbers and letters. Is the number on the dropout or bb?

Nice paint on that one!

The numbers before August 48 were burned up. But you can estimate by backing up the numbers and letters. Is the number on the dropout or bb?

Nice paint on that one!
181f63313b334ba8b83fefd18952b893.jpg

Bottom bracket.

I guess the old-timer new what he was talking about after all. I'm taking some pictures for him, of it put together and back on the road. I know he'll be glad to see it rolling. Thanks for the help. I clearly have been putting too much faith in the lookup tool.

Latest posts

Back