50's Hot Rod Tribute Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first rat rod, a Murray cruiser, unknown model & year. It probably had several previous owners and was first purchased to be nothing more than a beater. The back rim was shaped like a pringle's chip. It's sitting in the "before" state in the middle of my custom bike rack (the back of an old futon re-painted and re-purposed).
airshow079zj6.jpg

Stripping it revealed at least 3 layers of spray paint. Up until this time I thought I might have an old Schwinn because the serial number couldn't be read due to the layers of paint:
airshow081xa7.jpg

A lot of the decorative pieces came from a local crafts store:
airshow093jn8.jpg

The best piece came from an old belt of mine. It's amazing what you can get away with wearing when you're younger and 230 pounds of ripped muscle. Needless to say those days are past, but I can still put the belt to good use. And although the standard rat rod color for rims is red, I went with orange to match the speedometer graphics and to convey a more light-hearted, humorous approach:
airshow088kw9.jpg

I used colored electrical tape in the mock up stage to get an idea for the color before committing to paint. And you also get another look at my "custom" bike rack, which is a little dusty. This was before I got sick:
airshow090ch1.jpg

Out with the old:
mrpringles010ho3.jpg

In with the new (a pair of krate replicas):
mrpringles011qg0.jpg

My first pedal upgrade! A minor victory, but I was happy....

A lot of other stuff and the finished product is:
mrpringles015yj5.jpg

mrpringles043wp9.jpg

mrpringles045ej6.jpg

Something tells me I can't leave this one sitting around outside like I could the old beater. This is now going to be my parade and social ride bike.

It's got a lot of hidden details and color accents:
mrpringles054db5.jpg

mrpringles028yi1.jpg

mrpringles025vk2.jpg

mrpringles052va5.jpg

And the skull embellished grips, but that pic didn't turn out.

It had a horrible after-market chainguard on it with big 90 degree angles so I shaped it to go with the flow. I can't weld yet, but I'm pretty good at cutting metal:
mrpringles050tb1.jpg

Annnnndddd SCENE!
mrpringles038ih0.jpg

All in all building the bike was a great experience. I was amazed at how you can build a bike according to a certain theme and yet still infuse it with a ton of your own personality.

nice ride and I even like the flames though I'm usually no big friend of flame jobs

Latest posts

Back