50 Huffman deluxe Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I bought this bike a while ago and was desperately trying to find a member to pick it for me.
Thanks Tony, (tpender3), couldn't have done this without you.
I met with Tony yesterday to finally get my hands on this one.
1950 Huffman built Western Flyer. Missing some OEM items, like the Rocket Ray, pedals and rear rack. But some aftermarket items in it's place. Unique spring loaded double arm book carrier.
Anywho, the wife thinks I have lost my mind buying such a patina'd rusting looking bike....but, you have to admit, this is just a good looking survivor.
Plans are to clean it up, service what I can, get some OG rims, and ride him. The pitting is so extreme, it makes no sense in doing anything else.
I might put it up for sale at the Richmond Show this weekend but, only to prove to the wife that rusty gold can bring a profit. But, if it doesn't sell it will be a nice rideable condition heavyweight.

I think it's interesting that it also has rear adjusters and yet a 1/2" pitch chain. Not a prewar, I guess they didn't make the dropouts different for a few more years.

Thanks again to all that were willing to lend a hand. Without the help from our friends we probably wouldn't be able to amass a larger than needed collection.

attachment.php

That is one sweet complete package. Nice find.
Now I know what the frame is that I've had for 5 years and built a few times. 1" pitch though orig.
It's nice to see which tank will fit the frame too. Thanks for the pics, Enjoy.
If mine had that perfect finish, I would practice restraint and not repaint either.

Did some preliminary wd40/0000 cleanup on the frame the last couple of days. Had thought this one would get sold last weekend but, have realized that this bike is just what a patina'd bike should look like. Took a short ride and was quite pleased. Have not serviced the headset or crank bearings yet. It has been added to the herd and no longer on the market.

Did replace the dry rotted white walls with a set of creme Duros. Need to get the OG rims from Tony, and if they are salvageable then they will be installed with these crèmes.
This is a survivor for sure.....I love the new and still old look!!!

attachment.php

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Updated pics.
Took the bike apart and did some servicing and a repair on the rear fender.
Added a nice patina'd Rocket Ray and an additional rear chromed European car fender light to the rear rack.
Might be a bit too much chrome but it is a cool retro look. Shame it doesn't have a red lens.

Oh and of course the cool looking siren was added for the weekends bike ride on the boardwalk. Got some real weird and cool looks when cranking the howl at of that.

u4e5eby7.jpg

3e9usety.jpg

zusasy3y.jpg

huse9uve.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jd...very cool practice of restraint on a near perfect patina'd fat tire. Being from K.C.,MO.,I'm very partial to Western Flyers because, as everybody knows, were sold by the Western Auto stores founded and headquartered here.Part of our skyline features the HUGE neon Western Auto sign atop their building downtown which is now a national landmark and must be maintained by law.Western Auto is out of business (bought out by Advance Auto Parts in the late '70's I think) but the building has been converted to loft apts.Alas...I digress...the salt flat racer graphics that grace your Flyer are one of the hardest to find in any condition and are sought after here in my neck of the woods.As you might guess,I'm not the only Flyer Freak around here. If you find a moment please PM me as I have a question or two for you...Awesome,awesome find...Pappy 8)

Thanks for the comments guys.
Pappy I sent you a PM in response.

So I need to protect and preserve the bike's patina....a mild coating of clearcoat maybe?

Coating with some type of oil to prevent the rust from growing is a method that just seems and sounds messy. Plus additional applications would be needed periodically, I would guess.

I would use Boiled Linseed Oil rather than clearcoat. It really isn't messy.

We use a 50/50 mix of satin polyurethane and mineral spirits. You can wipe it on with a rag and it hardens well, a couple of coats will keep the rust off of your clothes (and everything else). It really brings out the original color and gives a slight sheen. The last batch we mixed, we used spar varnish with the same results and it should be more weather resistant.

Boiled linseed sounds like it would leave a residue and transferred to anything that it has contact with like your clothes or skin. I have heard you guys mention this before but, am clueless as to how it applied.

Satin Polyurethane and mineral spirits, is a new one that I haven't heard of for metal surfaces anyway. I have read that tinning the urethane with mineral spirits was to reduce the sheen but, on wood surfaces.
And then mixed with mineral spirits (isn't that like a paint thinner used to clean paint brushes) sounds weird.
Can you elaborate on this idea?

nice bike jd...P 8)

Back