$50... Deal or NO Deal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor has an original 3 wheeled bicycle, the kind that usually are associated with our elderly citizens (read - :D LD PEOPLE BIKE).
He says he'll sell it for $50, and has a new chain for it. He says the old one is stretched and jumps off the sprockets...?
Does this chain thing make sense?
Is this a good price?
The ones I've seen on Ebay go for a lot more than that.
My wife wants one and modifying this would be alot easier than building another one from scratch, although not near as cool as mine.
ImportedPhotos00017.jpg

I'm not the expert but if I found a trike for fifty dollars I'd jump on it. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, your big wheel rocks.

Go for it man!

dont wait...

DEAL!!!!!!!!!!

Walked down and offered him $30 cash... walked it home....
I'll post pics in a bit.

notrod59 said:
and has a new chain for it. He says the old one is stretched and jumps off the sprockets...?
Does this chain thing make sense?

Yes, when a chain gets worn out it "stretches". Since the little rollers on the chain are now further apart than the teeth on the sprockets, only a couple of rollers are in contact with teeth, instead of all the rollers around half the circunference of the sprocket. All the tension on the chain goes into only a couple of teeth, and the chain ends up climbing the teeth and skipping. And if the chain is worn, then probably the teeth are worn also. Running a new chain on worn teeth will skip like mad. I see it all the time on mountain bike transmissions.

At least, that's what my fortune cookie said.

EDIT: Saw on your pics that there's a lot of slack on the chain. Maybe that's the problem?

Hugo

Hugo said:
EDIT: Saw on your pics that there's a lot of slack on the chain. Maybe that's the problem?

Hugo

That was a big part of it. I think I got it to stay on a little better. I think I'll still put the new chain on when I get it from the guy.

I think I'm going to have to do some learning about Sturmey 3 speed hubs too, it has some shifting problems right now. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning and some lube, we'll see tonight.

Good job! Great price and to be able to ride right after you bought it, awesome!
I paid $75 for mine but mine is only 1 of 4 that I know of in the USA.!

Latest posts

Back