49 Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I haven't posted anything on here since I traded karfer my stretch a while back but I finally got a 49 Hawthorne from MikeS. I took the wheel/tire set from the V12 i traded mike and luckily it fit on the 49. I completely striped down the bike, sanded it and painted it red oxide. I also sanded the bearing cups and the headset to give it a "brushed" look i guess. I put on a bmx neck with some cut down apes. My friend cut and welded my seatpost to move it back more and it came out pretty good and sturdy. Notice the shim I had to pound on the stem to make it fit! **Anyone know anyone selling those seatposts that are nicely bent so you dont need to cut and weld it?** I threw on a brooks saddle (thanks to Karfer and College Cyclery) and I was good to go. Still to come is a skip tooth chain ring from MikeS and some cream tires from Felt! Any ideas for names???

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

olschbp said:
looks good, I heard about the deal, what are you going to do with skip tooth sprocket?

I'm gonna put it on the bike!

hahaha......adam's going to grind down the rear sprocket and it'll be good to go!

and now i remember you! i think i saw you at college the other day!

i like it too i still think it looked cool before but i gotta tell you keoki it looks really good like this. iduno about a name for her though i need to drink a few first. and i hate to say it that seat does look real good on there although i still think that seat angle looks like a killer. well done and when are you going to take a pic of it with your new jacket hanging off the bars?

olschbp said:
Hi, was nice meeting you at Collage this morning, want to see bike in person when you get finished
you 2! i have a rechromed sweetheart skiptooth i'm purchasing and i already ordered some cream tires from felt and i think i'll be done. i'm still debating if i should put a 26" fork on instead of that 24".......that 26" wheel fits perfectly snug under the fork but it's barely holding on! i think the truss rods are keeping it in place. idk.

that is a 24" fork? then that explains what Mike was telling me about the truss rods and the fit, looks like the might be just a bit of room left, you could grind the fork a little deeper to get more bite for the axle

I've got a girls 26 inch 1937 schwinn truss rod fork for sale if you're interested in it I can send it when I send the crank and sprocket. You're bike looks great.

olschbp said:
that is a 24" fork? then that explains what Mike was telling me about the truss rods and the fit, looks like the might be just a bit of room left, you could grind the fork a little deeper to get more bite for the axle

yeah, that's exactly what adam did for me.......he grinded down the axle and it fit perfect. so it's pretty much holding the wheel from moving up or down! hopefully those rods don't give out!

jre0123 said:
I've got a girls 26 inch 1937 schwinn truss rod fork for sale if you're interested in it I can send it when I send the crank and sprocket. You're bike looks great.

how much do you want for the fork? can you send me any pics????

and i think your rechromed sweetheart skiptooth and crank is gonna look siiiick!

Hey Keoki the bike looks good like that. If that's a 24" fork it's a weird one......... It fit a 26" ballooner wheel and fender in it. But it might explain why the truss roads were just a hair short. If you need a longer fork give me a call I'm sure I have one around here. I'll post some pics of the V12 when I get a chance.

MikeS said:
Hey Keoki the bike looks good like that. If that's a 24" fork it's a weird one......... It fit a 26" ballooner wheel and fender in it. But it might explain why the truss roads were just a hair short. If you need a longer fork give me a call I'm sure I have one around here. I'll post some pics of the V12 when I get a chance.

yeah, lemme know if you have one and if we can swap! i'll feel a little more "safe" hahhaha. and i sent you a PM about getting a womans frame.

Back