'48 north of the 49th

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooch's '48 Schwinn straight bar frame has arrived at it's new home in the Great White North :D

I did a quick build up to see how it will look:

481ej4.jpg

This one's going to stay ratty, the plan is for a fresh coat of flat black to protect the metal (gotta make it last another 60 yrs). The S-2's will stay rusty but the hubs need some attention to get things rolling smoothly. Seat is Schwinn with the crash rail. Grips are John Deere. Crank & sprocket are also Schwinn.

Of course there are some new parts in the mix too: jumbo ape hangers, 4-bolt stem, re-pop springer and 26x2.125 Kenda Kraze tires.

More pic's to come as the project moves along.

-Mp

BTW: It's very white in my part of the north right now:

480fp4.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nice looking ride! Love the OG paint S-2's with the black. Looks very 30's and the big Apes give it the Cruiser feel. TASTY!

Do you think you will Run an old style neck,or keep the 4 bolt style?

I do prefer the the look of the old style single bolt neck, but it just doesn't have enough clamping power to keep the tall bars in place. So for the time being, I'll use the 4-bolt. Some flat black or aging the finish may help it blend in a bit more.

-Mp

Markm - The bars are 22" ape hangers. Mine I got from Chaingang Lowrider.

The same bars are also available from places like Aztlan or any of the other lowrider bike websites.

Ginny Rini has them listed under handlebars in the "Old School BMX" section of her site. (way down at the bottom of the page)

http://www.chainganglowrider.com/

http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/index.html

http://home.comcast.net/~ginnyrini/handlebars.htm

I've dealt with all three of the places listed and have no complaints. Chaingang is usually my first choice 'cause they're in the same city as me.

Obviously if your in the US, one of the others is more cost effective. Something to keep in mind is bars this big ship as an oversize item.

Hope this info helps

-Mp

Are those John Deere Grips? I got a set out in my shop!

Multipass said:
Do you think you will Run an old style neck,or keep the 4 bolt style?

I do prefer the the look of the old style single bolt neck, but it just doesn't have enough clamping power to keep the tall bars in place. So for the time being, I'll use the 4-bolt. Some flat black or aging the finish may help it blend in a bit more.

-Mp

Remember the old "Tough Neck" necks from the 80's BMX's

I think PK Rippers had them,they where a
solid square hunk of metal...no rounded edges.
That would look cool,and they are a 4 bolt style..
Those things would eat your Knee cap if you skipped off the peddles..

Memories of the early days :shock:

it's a great looking bike!!!!

:) Sweet bike MP ,Ya gotta love those apes it changes the
whole attitude of the bike,

Vroom!

It's progressing very slo-o-o-owly

My schedule is very full right now, not a lot of time for bikes and even less in the next couple o' months :(

But I'm able to sneak in some time for the small stuff though - working on the hubs, cleaning chrome etc.

I'll keep ya' posted as things progress.

-Mp

hey multipass,

i was on the chaingang site, are your apes the 22" V handlebars?

if so, they have the 7/8th center... right below that are the handlebar shims, that Allow you to use a 7/8" bar center handlebar with a stem that requires
a 1" bar center. that could be why the old style stem couldn't hold those bars.... maybe the shims would work, so you could use the other style stem!

oct.

Yessirree, the apes are the 22" V handlebars.

Originally I did use the shims with a Schwinn single bolt stem, but no luck, not enough clamping power to hold the bars in place. These are very tall bars so it's not too hard to put a lot of leverage on the stem. Compounding the problem is the fact that the clamping sufrace of the stem and shims are smooth - the knurling on the bars grips the shim, but the shim has no 'bite' on the stem.

But in the spirit of never knowing when to quit, I'll be trying the shim's with another Schwinn stem I have. Schwinn stem #2 is in better condition than Schwinn stem #1, so maybe it'll work.

Thanks for the tip though, that's what makes this place so cool - there's a pile of know-how around here and no one is selfish about sharing :D

-Mp

has anyone else had problems running tall apes with the single bolt stem?
if so, what have you done to keep them in place? are certain stems better than others?

october said:
has anyone else had problems running tall apes with the single bolt stem?
if so, what have you done to keep them in place? are certain stems better than others?

yes use shimms. I used to chisel off shims off huffy handle bars or old 35mm film canisters and wrap the bars to get snug fit. or use BMX stem and tape off section were stem will touch and sand or slightly grind gooves left to right to cause a better grip when clamping down.....OR what the heck. weld it in place :wink:

neck

Well I might not know what I'm talkin' about, but it tends to be about aplication and all things cocidered---I'd say oprox.20'' up or more---engineering wize--use the bmx style neck. 1-becuse the bars are set up for it---no shim needed-- bars are 7/8 all the way--no transition for old school neck- and 2, from a leaverage stand point, you have to realy torque your settings on that neck to make everything ''happy''--comppprehende'? You do intend on rideing the bike don't you?30 years experience. Always remember--form-falows-function! translation:first it should work well and then, it should look nice. fallow this recipe and you will eliminate a lot of strife!

Back