'48 North of the 49th -- chapitre deux

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update on this project:

481ej4.jpg

I thought I'd start a new thread to document the build as it progresses. The original post is in the gallery section: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15 The image above is a cobbled together "proof-of-concept"

The last few parts arrived yesterday, I now have no excuse not to finish this one.

Hubs:

hubsic2.png

Three to choose from, all with drum brakes. The Sturmey-Archer 3sp with matching front is my first choice, but I've got the single speed as a backup.

Springer fork:

phantomspringergh5.png

Admittedly, I was hesitant to spend the $$$ on this (it didn't come cheap), but now that I have it here - WOW! This fork is NICE. The quality is much, much better than the lowrider springers I've been using. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Time to get busy stripping paint off the frame:

48framejw3.png

A significant portion of the paint has left on its own, but the rest needs a little encouragement. I may have the frame powder coated to match the forks, or I may go with traditional spray methods to do black with some ivory white scallops (ivory white to match the rims and other small parts) We'll have to wait and see what happens in that regard.

As always, feedback, opinions and ideas are welcome.

-Mp

*FYI -- the frame was purchased from Hooch, the SA hubs from sickcycles and the single speed drum is from Dumpster_Diver

of all the old schwinn frames I have owned I love the straight bars the best
the cantilever frames are neat but they dont look old really and the dx frames are neat but dont match the beauty of the straightbar
I am glad it went to such a good home
the old boy I got it from at a swap meet said he had a whole shed full of old bikes and I have never called him back because I want to have a pocket full of cash when I do and you just reminded me its about time to call him :)
looks like its on its way to be a beautiful bike!

It's looking great.

The drums will be very cool...
you asked...so here's my input.

The Black to match the Springers ( yes )
The Scallops ( yes )
then I would stripe it out ( the devision between the Black and white scallops ) like Yustin did...in a Mellow Yellow,
or an Industrial Mustard Yellow.
p103s.jpg

Then Finish the Rims in the same Mustard Yellow with Wide whites

Re-Cap

....so The Rims and The Pin Stripe could be the same yellow..like an Old Mustard Yellow.

.....The White Body of the Scallop matches the WWW Tires
Shiny Black seat
Shiny balck Grips To match frame and Springer.

I think that might look cool.

my 2 cents

Thanks for the input guys

Hooch - Yup, the straight bar frames do have an appeal all their own, don't they? I think somebody around here did one in a board track style? Something about a build-off maybe?

Clothespin - The yellow rims & striping sound cool. I'm thinking I'd like to keep the colour scheme in the style of late '40's to early '50's cars, so maybe more mellow yellow than industrial yellow. Lot's of work ahead of me before I have to decide though (translation: too many chances to change my mind :roll: )

As of this writing, the seat of choice is this number from Chaingang:

36097%20Brown%20Velo%20Seat_2.jpg

Age has not been kind to the Schwinn seat in the first photo, it's not very user friendly anymore.

-Mp

Started stripping paint from the frame today:

twotoneds1.png

The black paint is odd stuff. Falling off in large flakes some places, in others it just turns to goo when the stripping wheel hits it. Time to break out the big guns and introduce aircraft paint stripper into this equation.

It would appear that the original colour scheme is red and white. And two-tone it will be when finished (Black & ivory)

-Mp

that paint is duplicolor truckbed coating its usually tuff stuff but it was real cold when i painted that so it must not of stuff well in spots and too good in others sorry about that mp

No worries Hooch, the aircraft paint stripper will take care of it - hasn't failed me yet!

*disclaimer - my place of employment has the facilities to do this sort of thing in an environmentally sensitive way

october - this particular springer was found in the classifed section of the Schwinn forum, but I see that Blue Moon bikes has the same setup listed on their site:

http://bluemoonbikes.com/mambo/componen ... Itemid,26/

The fork is listed in the 'Classic Parts' menu

-Mp

Back