4 Wheel Car Bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not really sure where this would fit on this forum, it is a cool bike worth mentioning considering the time spent to build. I apologize if wrongly placed.

http://ferdinand.johannes-l.net/

Construction:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41959234@N ... 802440077/

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQB_tgS ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmFrJ_k ... re=related

4219442868_44817efc05.jpg

Troy

Re: BikePorsche

How cool! I would love to see this concept be used to build a classic like a 57 chevy 8)

seen this on the internet for a while, and saw it on top gear. its stupid cool. hahaha. love that the tail lights and headlights work to

I've had plans to build a 32 highboy for several years, now that I've found the fat bicycle tires and wheels what I had envisioned is within reach.
Sample image:
Photo-01.JPG

Now yer talking - I had a serious discussion about the possibility of recreating a lifesized pedal powered version of 'Mephistopheles' the 21.7 litre airship engined Fiat land-speed racer. In addition to a driver the massive engine bay would be big enough to contain two other pedalers.

We fantasised about rolling up to our local pub and two guys wearing greasy mechanics overalls would climb out!

1071149_article_img_large1.jpg

Saw that on top gear. I think someone posted it here a while back too. That thing is super cool. I think someone posted another pedal power car here a few days ago which I think is amazing work and dedication to pull it off. 8)
If only I had the skills.....

Envision said:
I've had plans to build a 32 highboy for several years, now that I've found the fat bicycle tires and wheels what I had envisioned is within reach.
Sample image:
Photo-01.JPG

I wonder if it is possible to build a single seat 1/2 scale or so highboy powered by a go cart engine in the back???

I was considering single and double seat designs. Current scaling with 20x3 or 20x4 fronts and 24x4 back (usually big/little hot rod rake stance) gives nice room for a single person coming in at 10' long total. Although I have not scaled a top view in yet, I'm hoping that enough room can be gained in this size without having to go bigger using 24x3 on the front and 26x4 on the back. Getting this big would be closer to 1:1 scale and would look better with real car tires/wheels. My goal is to have it look very real, and seat two people using only bicycle parts (plus some go kart parts, axle, steering, etc.) Do a search for bicycle cars or similar, there's nothing with style. If you find something nice, please post it.

As I build, templates will be kept. Several pieces I've started sourcing are from go karts.

The plan for mine is to try the EcoSpeed electric assist or building my own brushless system. I want it to be pedaled to move, but feel like a light bike, which may be hard having all the fat rubber. I have considered carbon fiber as a shell but may end up using light fiberglass over foam for contours. Then there's the chance my dad may want to make it all out of aluminum. I'm all for quick parts out of molds, so it doesn't have to be a one of a kind. The outside frame rails the body sits on will match the real design closely, so anything in the middle can be welded into place for pedal, electric, gas, etc.

Once I have a profile photo of myself in a good comfortable recumbent position that would look appropriate to the scale body I will complete the initial scaling and post a sample.

A thought for the trunk as long as there wasn't a gas motor, it would make a nice rumble seat for youngsters to ride.

I wonder if it is possible to build a single seat 1/2 scale or so highboy powered by a go cart engine in the back???
Current design shows a usable space in front of the feet and behind the seat of almost 26" long and 19" tall, width still yet to be determined.

Troy

Here's a quick convert and scale with the body image from my bike design. Of course picture your arm resting on the top of the door and a steering wheel, not the windshield.

At this size, 20x4 and 24x4 tires match perfectly to the scale. This image should help with your imagination, but think red spoked wheels and hubcaps like the photo above. At a lower sitting angle like a low recumbent, there should be enough room for a convertible top.

i-mxPKNRP-L.jpg

I just changed the title of this thread to more appropriately fit its content.

Troy

that is what I was thinking. I would think weight would be a real issue.
Could a trike rear axle set up be used??

I believe the tires will be the heaviest part if its all done in aluminum and other light weight material.

Rear axle will need to be custom, possibly something like atomiczombies kyoto cruiser tandem. It has to be much wider than a standard trike.

The front axle/spindles/steering arms I've already sourced from one of my dads old lawn mowers, it has the same type of drop ibeam used in the older cars, just need to widen it. Hinged in the center just like on the lawn mower will enable all 4 wheels to be in contact with uneven ground without needing a suspension.

My Dad also had a 33-34 frame standing up against the barn which is quite different from the 32 hi-boy... So I'm still looking for a template or model to get the curves/angles/measurements to be as precise as possible.

A small sample to show this will be a first class project... This is a simple canopy for a model airplane I build from scratch, shows the starting shape in foam, and the finished foam piece ready to make the mold. The majority of my life has been creating show pieces as a profession, This will be no different... I want the people at car shows to say 'WOW'.

752029648_iKZEg-M.jpg

1012397390_LL4Th-M.jpg

Troy

any thoughts on the legality of this thing? I am all for a good challenge but it would be a lot of work to not be able to cruise the streets with it.

Where I live it wouldn't be a problem, I'm sure the Rhoades Car people have done the research, I'll have to look into it further.

Back