3M 130C Rim Tape

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the garage replacing a blown tube on my son's Wally World Huffy, when I notice his rim tape is VERY thin and folded over in several places. I try to straighten it out, but it's just no good. I had an epiphany, and thought "Hmmm, electrical tape?". So, I start rummaging in the old tool box and find this:

3M130C_zps6d61de7a.jpg

3M 130C Rubber splicing tape.

I start wrapping the rim, and come up with this:

RimTape_zps81b5a901.jpg

It looks pretty beefy, and should work pretty well. I'll pass on results, positive or negative.

I use that splicing tape as a first wrap on my road bike bars before wrapping the bar tape over that. Makes a nice thick bar, with better cushioning.

Actual rim tape works pretty well. :mrgreen: Old schood bandage tape looks pretty much like the same stuff. :| I've used electrical in a pinch, but I wouldn't trust it much for any real speed, distance, or off road work.

I'm sticking with cutting up old tubes. 16" for 20" rim, 20" for 26" rim. I keep lots of old tubes and the seams around the tube give you a line to cut around.

I also use the electrical splicing tape ,not on rims, but for protecting handle bars or the paint on frames when mounting clamps. The rubber is soft and does not hold up as well as inner tubes. I guess if the tops of the spoke nipples are smooth, the splicing tape will hold up for a while.When I needed to make do for a rim strip alternative I used Scotch Strapping Tape ( nylon filament reinforced ) on a mountain bike. Works good.

I'm cheap , i'v been using Electrical tape for years, i get it at my local ACE Hardware for .99 cents a roll ! :wink:

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
I'm cheap , i'v been using Electrical tape for years, i get it at my local ACE Hardware for .99 cents a roll ! :wink:
ralph .. you did not have to tell us... we all know your cheap :lol: I have dont it on 24 inch wheels.. a couple of times...
I go around the wheel three time stay to one side all the way around... then come around again on the other side.. then down the
middle for just to lock it in . has worked well ...

I tried E-tape once, worked fine, but absolutely would not come off in one piece after a couple weeks. took me a good hour to pick it off .. :x

Back