3 Speed Columbia Build - Need Tire Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a early/mid 70s Columbia Commuter 3 as a "first" bike. I haven't ridden in 10 years or more and wanted to get back in the saddle and start using it as an around-town machine. I've got plans for a rear twin rack and front basket, but everything else is just getting cleaned and polished and put back in use. I do need tires though. I found a guy (bikemanforu) on eBay with good deals on 26x1-3/8 tire kits with tubes and strips, but he's only got an original Kenda road tire. I looked at some hybrid (Pyramid k830) tires and thought those would be great for the bike since I live in a pretty "country" area and there's a likelihood that I'm gonna be hitting some sand and dirt and grass and whatnot every so often. Am I all wet in this assumption? Like I said, I don't have a whole lot of experience with Bicycles and I'm just making these assumptions based on logic and my mechanical know-how.

Thanks and happy riding.

i think the hybrid would do better holding a turn on a sandy road but other than that i think the differences would be minimal.

just my opinion though and i'm a fat guy that goes slow :mrgreen:

Well, I've ordered the Pyramid/Kenda K830 hybrid tires with new tubes and strips from Amazon.com - vendor Niagra Cycle Works. Hopefully they'll be here within the coming days. The heartier tread gives me peace of mind and I'm a pretty slow mover as it is. If I can ride in a little snow/sand/rain with more confidence, I'll gladly give up a little speed.

Thanks guys.

Back