29er wheelset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this from Tin Machine here recently...

PC110006.jpg

Since OG 28" rims and tires are Waaaayyy out of my price range, I was contemplating building up a set of 29er wheels with a coaster. Right now it has the regular 26" wheelset and you can see they have a large gap between the tires and fenders.

I know I can space down the fenders, but really dont want to. Anybody familiar with 29er wheels. And more specifically... do they make a whitewall street tire in that size? I realize the 29er stuff is for MTB so its probably a longshot.

discuss...

Yes I believe this to be true, but the 29er designation from what I gather... means a 700c wheel but is made in wider widths for MTB applications.

Ill have to talk with Yeshoney to get the juicy details!

Thanks!!! 8)

they all fit the same rims.... mountain bikers just don't wanna be associated with roadies so they shun the 700c thing.. :roll:

I tried to put 700's on my Varsity in place of the 27 inch tires. They were smaller in diameter than the 27's.

Ratfink1962 said:
Yes I believe this to be true, but the 29er designation from what I gather... means a 700c wheel but is made in wider widths for MTB applications.

Ill have to talk with Yeshoney to get the juicy details!

Thanks!!! 8)

True, 700c rims all have the same ERD of 622 but road rims tend to have a width less then 20mm, cyclocross/touring rims go to low 20s, 29er rims usually start about mid 20s and go up to 40mm. You may need to watch the volume of the tire used on that bike. A 2.35 29er tire will be plenty fat and the width of the rim has various effects on how that plays out. 29er rims like Salsa Gordos would make a roadie whine incessantly about the weight also.

Mitch this is my Motobecane 29er

Scion29erA-1.jpg

I have the Kenda tires on it. I've never seen anything but trail tires in that size. You know
that might look kinda cool on the right build, maybe like an old Willys jeep idea? Retro trail bike?

If you'd like any measurements let me know.

i think if we show enough interest, somebody will consider making a new tire. the right people have to be on here somewhere, or at least have heard of us. maybe we should do a poll to judge interest?

looking at it again, you may not have room for 29er tires under there.., you may have to go 650b or something.. :roll:

Back