29" wheel +Drum brake= ?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I scored a 29" onyx cruiser from Wally world and Im digging it! I want to add a multi speed hub to it and I am thinking Sturmey Archer XL-RD3 with a 90mm drum brake. I may run the drum brake front hub as well. I think they look cool! I am wondering if there will be problems using a 29" wheel with this type of braking system? Too much wheel for the brakes to handle,etc etc. ? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Thanks. Yeah I am going to build a whole new set of wheels since the stock hubs are 48H and the Sturmeys are 36H. With 29ers becoming more popular in the mtn bike scene I should be able to get a set of rims on the cheap. I hope!

I find the 160mm discs on my 29er mountain bikes get roasted in comparison to my old 26ers(especially front), looking to bump up to at least 185mms. The rotation momentum of a 29er wheel does seem to add a definite load to the brakes. If you're riding mostly flat gound I wouldn't worry, but flying down a steep hill a different story.

Thanks for the replies guys! I sent an email to Sunrace and they replied telling me I shouldn't have any problems with the drum brake hubs and 29" wheel combo.

Socal_jack I have heard they are not "skidding stop" brakes but will stop you fairly well. I dont plan on bombing any major hills but you never know! :D

Back