'28 Elgin StreetRacer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My latest build is in the books. I've been building a lot of fat tire cruisers lately and decided to build something fast that I can use as an urban rider. Found this 1928 frame from Don on the Cabe and ordered some 700c coaster brake wheels from Chimi. On with the pics.

sr1.jpg

sr2.jpg

sr3.jpg

sr4.jpg

sr5.jpg

A studio shot. I'll most more from this shoot later.
sr6.jpg

Just a pullback shot showing my studio setup.
sr7.jpg

Peatbog said:
The black of the rims/tires looks cool with the frame color. The deep-Vs look pretty nifty with that old frame too--almost like they should have been together from the start.

Yeah, Chimi hooked me up with some flat black wheels, spokes and hubs. I knew I couldn't get by without a few shiny parts, but the paint was begging for a blacked out look. I took it out for a test ride and wow....I mean this bike will move. Still not sure I like the feel of the bike, so there will be changes coming with the bar configuration.

What size wheels/tires would this have had originally? Did you have to spread the frame and fork to fit the hubs?

It looks really sharp with that wheel set-up.

Turned out sweet and that studio pull back is killer too.
I have had similar ideas for my Elgin. I was thinking along the lines of using the rims from my Onyx with some 28" Schwalbe Big Apples that I have.
I really love how yours turned out!!!!
BRAVO!!!

Hey Peat....yeah, I am not sure about the bars. I may flip them like bullhorns, or I have a set of mustache bars that I might use. We'll see how it evolves.

King...the studio is awesome. Its one of my favorite places to hang out. That is one end of the room. It is probably 30' wide with close to 20' ceilings. It's kind of a mess in that pic, but it usually is. The other end has a kitchen area and a sitting area with couches, video games, changing room and a big storage area. The hardwood floors are what sold me on the place. I share it with a few photog friends....and the best part, there is a drive through on one side and a chinese restaurant on the other. :lol:

slacker said:
This is an amazing build. Simple, but nicely executed. At a casual glance, the wheel/rim combo could pass for a ballon tire setup. Then you look a bit closer and... :shock:

Thanks man...it is a blast to ride too. I see your from Madison...I'll be up there sometime in March. Isn't there a bike expo or something in town coming up?

Yup. Bike-O-Rama is March 9-11. Basically a local dealer close-out sale. All of the shops selling off 2012 bikes and parts at a discount. Some manufacturer tables. It is OK, but not as cheap as you might expect. The real action is the Brazen Dropouts Bike Swap. It is a huge local swap meet. Still geared primarily towards road/tri/mtb crowd, but with a few vintage bikes and parts thrown in for fun.

Feel free to look me up for a beer or a coffee or whatever!

Latest posts

Back