26x2 tire on 26x3 wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you fit a 26x2 tire on a 26x3 wheel? Sure it will be stretched a bit, but I'm going for the "sportscar with big wheels and low profile tires" look.

I think my fallback is a 26x2.5 Hookworm, but they are really heavy. Would like something a bit lighter and with a smooth tread, if possible. Don't want a 26x3 tire with a "balloon" look really.

Is there anything special you need to do to mount a thinner tire on a wider wheel? Special tube or mounting method, etc?

Thanks,

Mike

I put a 1.75 tire on a 57mm (2.25 in) wheel. Watch the bead alignment as you air it up:

2n0kkzb.jpg

if it's a mtb clincher rim and tire there should be no problems with a little "stretch and poke" (import tuner lingo)

HxCforever said:
if it's a mtb clincher rim and tire there should be no problems with a little "stretch and poke" (import tuner lingo)

I was thinking of using a Cruisers US wheel, not sure what a "clincher" rim is? Tire would be a SlickThick maybe.

Thanks.

Just use a specialized 26x2.4/3.0 mountain bike tube and air up slow, works great.. I tried it with a standard tube and it started lifting the tire off the rim instead of stretching it out. The tire will bead at 15-20 psi with no problem and run high pressure as well..

Back