26" X 3" frame clearance question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old mountain bike whose frame has 2.75 inches of clearance on the rear forks. The front forks have no problem at all. I was wondering, if I put a pair of 3" wide tires on a standard rim (26 X 2.10s are on there now), will the tires round up allowing clearance, or is the tread and sidewalls firm enough to hold their shape? The particular tire I was looking at was the Kenda Kraze.

This bike's going to be a long distance city bike and grocery hauler so I was looking for the bigger tires to provide better comfort and improved load bearing. If the KK's don't fit I figure I'll just go with the Schwalbe Big Apple at 26 X 2.5 and be done with it....the tires anyway. Neither tire should be wide enough to cause rubbing on the chain.

Most of the 3" wide tires that I have mounted average about 2.75" in width. It varies a little bit depending on the rim width. That doesn't leave any room for your rim being slightly out of true, or the casing of the tire being slightly out of whack. Another option that I have had good luck with for urban assault bikes is a Maxxis hookworm.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_inf ... ts_id=2663

I would forget about a 3.0 tyre and get either a Hookworm 2.5 or even better a Nokian All Weather Slick 2.0 - both are tough and fast rolling.
The only thing about a 3.0 is you can say 'I've got a 3.0!!!!', but then you are left with a tyre that's too big.

:)

stephen said:
I would forget about a 3.0 tyre and get either a Hookworm 2.5 or even better a Nokian All Weather Slick 2.0 - both are tough and fast rolling.
The only thing about a 3.0 is you can say 'I've got a 3.0!!!!', but then you are left with a tyre that's too big.

:)
Unless you build your own frames that have plenty of room he he he he he ....I'v got 3.0 on both of mine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless you build your own frames that have plenty of room

That's the plan, eventually...Right now I've got a couple of people that can connect me to professional welders but I don't think that's going to be the same experience or lead to the same results as doing it myself.

Latest posts

Back