26 x 1.375 tires any sugestions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, got an old bike that uses 26 x 1.375 tires, Sheldon Browns site says go with a 599 size. Any suggestions for a vintage looking tire, bike is a '41. Thanks

i bought some at walmart and they looks pretty nice they were just black road tires but simuliar to the one that were originaly on my bike

599...that's about as scarce a tire size as you're likely to come across. i suppose (like everything) they show up on ebay from time to time...

maybe the 597 schwinn s-6 tire would go on- 2mm might be well within the normal range of chinese bicycle tire quality control (?). :wink:

Dang, and I originally though I had singletubes on it and was pleased when I found out I had switched wheels. Thought the 26's would be an easy find. Oh well. I would rather ride it than have it be a museum piece so a swap would be OK if I can't find anything.

I finaly got a chance to look at my wheels and the tires look to be OK. I think I can remove them clean the rims up and put in new tubes and be OK to ride.
Any suggestions on using really old tires. Is there anything I could put on them to help preserve them, like armor all, or not put on if it hurts the old rubber. At this point they feel soft and flexible, not hard and dried out surpisingly. Thanks.

One of the biggest problems is often unseen, at least from the outside-- old cotton cord tires can rot internally within the cord. The give away is when they blow while riding or bearing weight.

Back