26 x 1 3/8 ISO 590mm Wheel and Tire Options

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm sure you guys have noticed as well, there always seems to be a surplus of these 26 x 1 3/8 wheelsets from the older Raleigh-style middleweights, a lot of them with SA 3-speed coaster brake hubs.

I've read Sheldon Brown's article on tire sizing and understand the difference between all the different 26" tires but I was wondering if anyone has had some practical experience trying to fit a tire with a similar ISO measurement on one of these wheels. I'm bored with the current selection of 1 3/8 tires out there- maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?- and was thinking about going with a 650B tire which is only a 6mm difference per the SB article. I REALLY want to use the Hetre brick red tire with gum sidewalls but at $50 a piece plus overseas shipping- well, those would be some pretty expensive mistakes to hang on the garage wall.

I've used the Schwalbe Delta Cruisers in creme before and liked the look of those on my English 3 speed project. Anyone seen some other good looking tires in this size? Anyone ever play with 650B tires?

Thanks for all the help and input

As I understand it, the Brit 26 x 1 3/8 rims dont have a 'hook' to grab clincher tires, so you have to use the type tires they were designed for. Also earlier ones had 40R, 32F, and later ones 36F&R, so lacing up new rims to your hubs may be an issue with what is available. My Nottingham frames wont take but about a 1.75 width tire at the rear, and a 1.5 front ,either. 700 rims are supposed to be a good upgrade.

I've used the Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (in cream) on my Roadmaster "lightweight", and in white wall on my dad's. The creme ones look pretty sharp against the metallic red paint, I think. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it at the moment...

6 mm is almost a 1/4". That's not insignificant. You'll never get a 650B tire to stretch over the 590 rim. If that's the tire you really have to have, you have to look at building up a set of 650B wheels. I think that choices for 650B are slim too, though, so that might not be a big advantage. You'd almost be better off trying to squeeze 700C rims in if there's enough clearance, at least in terms of variety of choices.

rivbike have a good selection of 650b tyres, and searching 650b in google will turn up some aluminium rims as well.

the thing with this size is that whilst 6mm is a big difference as regards tyre/rim fitting, it's nothing in terms of keeping the look of the bike right, the brakes working properly and keeping the original mudgards, if that's your cup of tea

You want colors, maybe stripes?

JunkyRustyBikes http://www.junkyrustybikes.net/index.php?cPath=25_61 has quite a variety of Duro brand colored tires, sidewalls and stripes, for $20-25 a pair. Shipping is high, so partner with some friends or buy several.

color%20wall%20tires.jpg

RED%20BLUE%20YELLOW%2026%20INCH%20TIRES.JPG

white%2026%20inch%20flashing.gif

ORANGE%2026X1%2038.JPG

Hope that helps - not quite brick red with gumwall, but at least they give a lot of options for a size not known for having much choice.
(If only they made S6 Schwinn tires - talk about lack of options! :cry: )

Back