25.00 road bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this isn't a rat rod or a candidate for such a thing but I think that its cool. I picked this up from a friend at work. I told him I would take it (sight unseen) since I was sure there were some things on it worth 25.00. Its a Peugeot road bike. It has made in France on the head. Not sure if it just means the head or the whole bike?? It also has 73 on the hubs which I was told that dates the bike. It has Simplex derailer and shifters. Good or bad??
If any of you have any info on it ,it would be greatly appreciated. I think that the paint is really nice compared to my Schwinn World Sport so I may be swapping some parts to this one.
SANY0001a-4.jpg

SANY0004b-2.jpg

SANY0002b-3.jpg

SANY0003b-3.jpg

SANY0006b-1.jpg

SANY0005c-1.jpg

SANY0007a-5.jpg

SANY0009b-2.jpg

SANY0008b-2.jpg

be careful with that bike and threading... it may have french threads for the bottom bracket. if so don't lose the bottom bracket cups as they are expensive to replace. other than that nice score for 25$

Thanks LT!! I was seeing that on another site too about the threads. .I wonder where you would get those too.$$..I will be careful for sure. I'm going to try to clean it up some this weekend. It needs tires. The gumwall is flaking but the rest looks good. I also need a new seat for it.

Their 27'' x 1 1/4''

I have bought one for my Schwinn but the local shop is supposed to be ordering me another one. (3 wks. ago) :roll: So I found some online that I'll probably order.

rife with bikes said:
Their 27'' x 1 1/4''

I have bought one for my Schwinn but the local shop is supposed to be ordering me another one. (3 wks. ago) :roll: So I found some online that I'll probably order.

Yeah, 700c and 27" same thing. Mine are really oddball 22".....I mean I got all kinds of 20" and 24" but none of these..... :?

outskirtscustoms said:
rife with bikes said:
Their 27'' x 1 1/4''

Yeah, 700c and 27" same thing. Mine are really oddball 22".....I mean I got all kinds of 20" and 24" but none of these..... :?
Oh!... 700c and 27" definatley NOT the same thing! btw... 27 1/8 tires will also fit... and the plastic on the shifters and derailers on the simplex stuff is very brittle after years of exposure. They will crack or break just lookin' at em! :shock:

Nice score on the bike.I just finished one I found a while back..I put a chain and some 700s tires on it..
I can tell that your bike is a little older..with the 27s Looks like it will clean up nicely..I like that blue color to :wink:

ede756c5.jpg

^^ I had that same bike in black. That's about the end of the Made in France models, 1980-ish, right?

mybike1 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
rife with bikes said:
Their 27'' x 1 1/4''

Oh!... 700c and 27" definatley NOT the same thing! btw... 27 1/8 tires will also fit... and the plastic on the shifters and derailers on the simplex stuff is very brittle after years of exposure. They will crack or break just lookin' at em! :shock:

Oh my bad I read the chart wrong.... :oops:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/wheelsizes.html

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
^^ I had that same bike in black. That's about the end of the Made in France models, 1980-ish, right?
I would say you are close in the years..not to sure ..I bought this back then..1980
bike002.jpg
yamaha017.jpg

I wouldn't be too worried If you wanted to put decent square tapered(non campy) cranks on it. As Velo Orange sells brand new sealed bearing square tapered french threaded bottom brackets for not too much. They also make a threadless bottom bracket to be used in a variety of bottom brackets for a little bit more if you've got something really obscure.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... ps-26.html
Very cool bike though as I like Peugeots and vintage road bikes in general.

I cleaned it up tonight. Thanks for the info guys. For those of you that have road bikes I posted a thread in Other bikes section. Just wanting to see who had them on this site.
SANY0011b-1.jpg

Cleaned up well now loose that sponge black grips..LOL..Wrap that bad boy up with some real bar tape..LOL

You could keep the old school theme and use cloth bar tape. As for the bike, it's a lower model Peugeot. Easy way to tell on road bike is by looking at the components, and the frame. I usually look at the frame first cause it's the easiest to tell. First is look at the rear dropouts. Are they stamped or forged. Almost all older bikes with stamped dropouts will have a separate derailleur hanger that bolts on instead of one that actually part of the dropout. Bikes with forged dropouts will usually have the maker's stamp on them like Campagnolo, Gipemme, etc. and have the deraulleur hanger and dropout as one part. That's a sure fire thing for me. Then will be where the shifters are located. If they are on the stem I don't touch them as it's cheaper for the company to bolt shifters onto the stem instead of brazing shifter bosses onto the downtube or using a bolt on clamp like Campagnolo made. Plus if components have plastic on them it's another easy way to tell.
Don't take this like I'm bashing on your bike but it's an indiction on where bikes fell into they manufacturer's lineup.

pinche , Thanks for the info. So I didn't give too much for it then. I rode it 7 mi. today and it did good.I don't know too much about these bikes and am learning as I go.

Back