24" or 26" Which one rides better?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new wheelset and I'd like to hear what you all think about the ride on 24" wheels vs. 26". I've grown real fond of the 3 inch fat tire look but I don't think I can run 26x3 with my current frame and fender set-up. So I'd like to hear from you guys who are running 24x3 inch tires. Is there any difference in the way the bike rides either better or worse? Thanks!!

i personally really like the way they ride better than a 26. i like the way that they seem to slow down the steering a bit, and when you look down on them while riding you just feel like your riding a motorcycle and it causes you to want to make engine put put noises. also as a side note most 24x3 tires make a very realistic screeeeech sound when you skid not sure why they just do. the only draw back i can see are complaints from riders who are somewhat heavy and the tires boging them down unlike a 26 which is more narrow so it is more efficient. then again i cant remember there ever being a post about these bikes being efficient in the first place :D

karfer67 said:
i personally really like the way they ride better than a 26. i like the way that they seem to slow down the steering a bit, and when you look down on them while riding you just feel like your riding a motorcycle and it causes you to want to make engine put put noises. also as a side note most 24x3 tires make a very realistic screeeeech sound when you skid not sure why they just do. the only draw back i can see are complaints from riders who are somewhat heavy and the tires boging them down unlike a 26 which is more narrow so it is more efficient. then again i cant remember there ever being a post about these bikes being efficient in the first place :D

Ditto all of Karfer's comments, the Fat Bricks especially squeal loudly(much more than my Kenda Krazes) had a couple of close ones at Mission Beach on teh 4th on my Elgin build. Also wanted to add you might consider the 24/26 combo wheelset, got the pair on my Elgin for like $45 off ebay, sort of get the best of both worlds. The real ride comfort seems to be the 24X3 in the back where most of your weight is, but the quick bricks are also pretty buff for comfort up front.

I have 24X3 Fattios on my Electra and love them!! I am large and simply max out the pressure on them. works great! I also have a 24X3 Thick Brick on the rear of another bike and a 26X1.75 Quick Brick on the front. Maxed the rear pressure and a nice calm pressure on front. Rides super sweet. it is a very good combo!

I look forward to seeing photos of what you do!!

Thanks for the input guys. But after taking a long hard look at my frame and fender set up I went ahead and ordered my 144's in 26" and I'm picking up a set of Quick Bricks tomorrow. I didn't want to risk ordering the rims in 24" to find out that they wouldn't clear with 3" tires. My rims are supposed to be ready Friday. So hopefully I'll have fresh pics this weekend :D

Back