24" fork suggestions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive made the decision to go with 24's on my 62 cantilever frame. My next quandry is which fork to go with. i dont wanna use the fork for the 26's because it'll look funny with the gap at the top, plus a shorter one will lower the bike more.

So what are my options?

Also, what are some good lookin 24" white wall tires I could use. I'm not seeing much, and I dont like the tread on these so much either:
24X2125_WHITE_WALL.jpg

I offered up a set of deep drop 26" springers to a 24" frame the other day, and it looked fairly good. Might need to space the fender down, if you run one.

I am having the same trouble finding nice 24 x 2.?? whitewalls ......they all have chunky tread patterns.

Their are some cool 24 x 2.0 whitewalls on my sons 2008 Schwinn Corvette....but the schwinn importer here doesn't bring them to Australia as spare parts.

They are labelled: Innova and have a part or batch number of 14-2018-13 under the size.

Nice tread pattern.

Try your local Schwinn dealer.

(If you can find them, I wouldn't mind two pair if you don't mind USPS them too me ?? )

Halfdone said:
I offered up a set of deep drop 26" springers to a 24" frame the other day, and it looked fairly good. Might need to space the fender down, if you run one.

I have the bladed 26" original for this frame, but I cant get past the huuuuuuuuge gap there would be... Bleh!

I am having the same trouble finding nice 24 x 2.?? whitewalls ......they all have chunky tread patterns.

Their are some cool 24 x 2.0 whitewalls on my sons 2008 Schwinn Corvette....but the schwinn importer here doesn't bring them to Australia as spare parts.

They are labelled: Innova and have a part or **** number of 14-2018-13 under the size.

Nice tread pattern.

Try your local Schwinn dealer.

(If you can find them, I wouldn't mind two pair if you don't mind USPS them too me ?? )

I'll keep my eyes open for sure. In looking, i came across these, I'll have to keep them in mind for a futre project:

22137.jpg

There are 24" Straight Springer forks out there...kinda hard to come by and originals are $$$ because thats the size used on the Schwinn Krate bikes.

26" bent springers are easy to find but will give ya a "nose down,wheel out look".

I just measured a bent 20" springer,and it appears that if you ground down the bottom of the steer tube a low profile 24" wheel would fit in there.

I saw some Cheng Shin 24'' x 2.125'' #c241,with, or without whitewalls, at Niagaracycle.com, I think I am going to order a pair of the whitewalls, they're $8.55 a pop. The picture makes them look like the tread is off center, I've seen the exact same picture on other sites, who knows? They look good anyway, and they have a wider whitewall,than a lot of others, if you dig that...I do.

Oh yea, I would like to have a 24'' straight springer too... haven't seen any. I kinda thought the Krates had a 26'' springer? Got me wonderin'?

Quanah said:
Oh yea, I would like to have a 24'' straight springer too... haven't seen any. I kinda thought the Krates had a 26'' springer? Got me wonderin'?

I think those rat trap springers are for 24" wheels too. They're ugly in a very cool way.

Whats the shipping on those tires at Niagra? I know lots of places the shipping just kills it. And dont forget to check your LBS (local bike shop) for the tires too, on rare occasions I have found they actually have stuff I need. Case in point, the 26x1.75 wide whites for my wifes bike; go figure :wink:

Looks like (2) tires would come to $17.10 + $8.36 shipping, it also says 1x4lbs., so I guess maybe that would mean $8.36 per tire, if that's the case, then looks like the total would be $33.82, for me. That's the shipping charges for central, Illinois, California would be more. They are located in Niagara Falls, NY. Kinda cranks up the torque on the wallet, doesn't it?

Quanah said:
Looks like (2) tires would come to $17.10 + $8.36 shipping, it also says 1x4lbs., so I guess maybe that would mean $8.36 per tire, if that's the case, then looks like the total would be $33.82, for me. That's the shipping charges for central, Illinois, California would be more. They are located in Niagara Falls, NY. Kinda cranks up the torque on the wallet, doesn't it?

I would think it would be the eight bucks total for shipping. Yeah, I teld everyone that had interest in getting me a Christmas gift to forget it and get me some money. Ha. I told them I'd be very happy with the present I would buy myself and would thank them later. Now I just need to figure out where the money is going..... Already spent $150 on parts upgrading my fixed gear. Ive got two more to go too...

If you do a springer you can use a 24" fender and two fender struts so no "dirt bike" gap between the tire and fender.

Or, a 24" BMX fork with have about the same crown height as the stock 26" Schwinn fork, but no big gap above the 24" tire and probably enough room for a fender.

RawBert said:
check out my rrbb2 bike. i used a 26" bladed schwinn fork that i bent forward. i also used a 24" front wheel, the gap is not noticable and it gives you the lowered front end. also if you decided to use a 24" fork, check the steer tube length cuz its gonna be shorter that a 26" head tube.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4370

That looks great. How did you bend the blades?

What i did was put the blades through this brick wall i have and the pipe from my floor jack through the steer tube and pulled up to bend slightly. there are many options avaliable for doing this. if you have a very secure vise to hold the fork, that works. get creative if you have to. hope this helps.

Back