24" Firestone - Tank art options??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 24" Firestone - Bad (new) chain??

maybe the rear triangle of the frame is bent or not even from one side to the other?

i had a tight spot where i connected the chain on my orange bike. possibly just got smashed to much?

013 by andrew snyder, on Flickr

found this one in my stash. its yours if you want, figured id give you a ring before a yardsale tomorrow. and i counted twice and so did my sister, it is a 44.

Bendix red band laced in. Much better than the Shimano that we had!
CIMG1883r_2.jpg

CIMG1882r_2.jpg

Hub shiner... It was one of those "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" tags.
CIMG1884r_2.jpg

Cleaned up the Schwinn Predator cranks and sprocket to replace the shorter Monark unit. I actually like this sprocket better than the Monark style. What do you guys think? My boy says the longer cranks make him "go faster" :D. Sounds good to me!! We picked up a new set of Kruzer King pedals today as well. The wald set we had on there had a bent shaft on one side and wobbled when you pedaled. I wanted to find a nice vintage set but he really liked these.
CIMG1887r_2.jpg

Thought I'd show how we mounted the offset Royce Deluxe headlight. We just used a one inch plastic spacer and painted it silver.
CIMG1890r_2.jpg

CIMG1894r_2.jpg

how in gods name does everyone know my first name?! i really dont like it (my first name) and i dont remember posting it. hahaha. bike looks really good though. love ratrap springers

snydur said:
how in gods name does everyone know my first name?! i really dont like it (my first name) and i dont remember posting it. hahaha. bike looks really good though. love ratrap springers
Haha!! Ur name is in your pictures titles. That's how I saw it anyway.. I'll refrain from using it in the future :) - "Snyder"

everyone usually just calls me Snyder (actual last name), but i figured anydur would work since thats my email and other forum name

CCR said:
chain get tight and loose again ? or is it just a sticky link ?
As the crank rotates the chain gets tight then loose then tight then loose... I know its a very low quality chain I bought, so maybe thats it. The package was labeled Sccwinn (China) and cost $6.99... :?

It's not the chain. It's actually pretty rare for front sprockets to be perfectly centered on 1-pc cranks, especially if not completely original assembly. Usually the crank arms are up-and-down at the "high spot". Set chain distance there, and you'll avoid binding and wear from a too-tight chain. :|

deorman said:
It's not the chain. It's actually pretty rare for front sprockets to be perfectly centered on 1-pc cranks, especially if not completely original assembly. Usually the crank arms are up-and-down at the "high spot". Set chain distance there, and you'll avoid binding and wear from a too-tight chain. :|
Thanks for the reply Deorman :). I changed both the sprocket and crank, and the tight/loose chain issue was still there. I haven't had a chance to pick up a better quality chain yet. If thats not the issue,,, at least we'll have a better chain on there.

deorman said:
The cog/driver can be off as well. :? :roll: :lol:
Swapped that out too. :? I replaced the Shimano for a Bendix red band. I'm at a loss. I did like you suggested however, and created the right chain tension where the high spot is in the chain.

Bike is looking great.on a side note i think your hub shinner will end up taking your paint off of the hub.Seriously dig the bike though,the overall look of it is super keen.
-Kreep-

Sorry, I did not read all the way through. But your chain ring might be a hair out of round. That would cause it to tense and then loosen up like you described. It should not effect the performance though.

Kreep said:
Bike is looking great.on a side note i think your hub shinner will end up taking your paint off of the hub.Seriously dig the bike though,the overall look of it is super keen.
-Kreep-
Thanks!! I thought about the hub shiner taking off paint too.. Whoever had the rims before me sprayed them flat black - hub, spokes & all :roll: . That front hub is probably chrome underneath so we'll just see what happens and let it run its course. :)

Latest posts

Back