21 speed to single speed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how much you wand to spend!? You can go to http://www.nashbar.com/ and buy item ns-ssk to convert your old 10spd rear wheel to a single speed or you can buy a new hub/wheel. The wheel sets on ebay run between $100 and $300+. The Centurion in the pictures was a flea market find. I flipped and cut the bars then added a set of Velocity wheels with a flip flop hub on the back. The brake levers are Nashbar items as well. I removed one of the front chain rings also. Super light weight and fast.
Picture067-1.jpg

Converting this, well complete make over, stripping and painting ... want it ss 36t-18t .. gotta buy new rear rim anyways and a new tire so I just might go with a whole new wheel / hub

l_4904bccf9bba400b946b30f0c4977a0b.jpg

I got this ss for cruising round town :)..well not yea, still got a few dollars to pay er off.

l_e6609bc84e77466a96c21948d0ebaeea.jpg

at the same time every time I look at the mt bike I second guess if I wanna convert it to ss. :( I really do but Im really gonna miss the gears for those up hill trails.

honestly i would leave the DB as is, seems too nice to ditch the disc brake setup. you can get a spacer that removes the unwanted rear gears and you may need a tensioner to adjust the chain slack. other than that you would just need to remove the derailers/shifters/cables and unwanted chainwheels from the crank.

besides, looks like youve got a decent single speed already to me !

No need to ditch anything, you've got a freehub so that makes it easy. While the cheap conversion kits will work, the chain tension units that come with them are crappy. For just a little more get the Surly singulator use it in push-up mode(also has adjustable tension), get an SS cog for the rear with a freehub spacer kit, and a non-pinned/ramped chainring for the front crank, a KMC610HX 3/32 chain and you're done. This my 36/22 setup, Surly cog and replaced the jockey wheel with a sealed bearing job plus toook the chain guides off.

45 pages of mostly conversions, you're not alone
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=94113

Sage advice
http://www.surlybikes.com/spew3.html

IMG_0964.jpg

CCR said:
honestly i would leave the DB as is, seems too nice to ditch the disc brake setup. you can get a spacer that removes the unwanted rear gears and you may need a tensioner to adjust the chain slack. other than that you would just need to remove the derailers/shifters/cables and unwanted chainwheels from the crank.

besides, looks like youve got a decent single speed already to me !

The felt is for riding round the city mostly .. the mt bike I want specific for cross country riding, just hoping I dont get rapped on hills when I loose the gears lol. Same time I was told it makes you a better rider because you work harder.

Yea Im a member of MTBR I dont post much, mostly check out the pictures ... I didnt notice though when I do post seeking help I never get any replies..its sad I got more replies here over 2 days then I got there for a week, and the site has about 15000+ active members (number is out of my head but theres ALOT)

+++Im honestly thinking Im just gonna get a new rear rim / tire (mine is a little bent) and call it a day on the DB.

Pawel said:
The felt is for riding round the city mostly .. the mt bike I want specific for cross country riding, just hoping I dont get rapped on hills when I loose the gears lol. Same time I was told it makes you a better rider because you work harder.

Yea Im a member of MTBR I dont post much, mostly check out the pictures ... I didnt notice though when I do post seeking help I never get any replies..its sad I got more replies here over 2 days then I got there for a week, and the site has about 15000+ active members (number is out of my head but theres ALOT)

+++Im honestly thinking Im just gonna get a new rear rim / tire (mine is a little bent) and call it a day on the DB.

Seems like members are pretty helpful on the Singlespeed forum, although I think they're trying to convert everyone. I only post there and on the Socal forum oretty much. Since I've built this bike it's become my favorite, I ride it more than my old cruisers even as a beach cruiser. Don't use it much as a mtb but it's good on the steep hills around here. The mountains out here can be really trying on an SS and my FS is more fun in the extreme stuff so usually I use that more offroad. I originally had it setup 36/16 and that would probably be tough at first offroad.

Back