2011 Human Powered Vehicle Festival (Ayer, MA)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Human Powered Vehicle Festival is a group of vehicles that are slightly different from what you normally would see on rail trails, coming to the Nashua River Rail Trail parking lot in Ayer MA, on Saturday September 17th. (Rain date September 18th)

We start of with a parade into the parking lot at 1:00, and vehicle demonstrations will follow until after 4:00.

Our demonstrators (from the last festival) include people zig-zagging on trikkes, playing drum bikes, zooming on recumbents, jogging on board runners, bouncing on whymcycles, and showing off their style on plaid bikes.
(Yes, Graylock, you made it into the event description)

We would love to have more demonstrators, and need an audience to try our vehicles. Everything is free, email [email protected] if you want to demonstrate or you have more questions.

Our website has more information about the festival.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31251 was last year's topic, with lots of pictures.
I started a new topic for this year, so we don't have to continue on the third page.

Great! It'll be great to see you there, and the Chain of Fools looks sweet. I'll be there on my Whymcycle (the scooter with eccentric rear-wheel hub). I think we'll only have one of them this year. (My friend who owns the other one is building a new house and all his stuff is in storage including the Whymcycle, so I expect he'll show up either on some high-end carbon-fiber whizmobile or on a skateboard. Or maybe just wearing hand-knit bunny slippers. They'd qualify as human-powered, and he's a hard one to predict.)

The guy who sold the step-bike last year said he's got some new toys to bring along this year, but he won't tell me what they are!

Anyone else interested?

It would be GREAT to have a HUGE number of New England RatRodders there! Show off your "junk"..We can all were RRB T-shirts and walk around like a gang. We can have a demolition derby with bikes (kidding)...Actually sounds pretty cool. :lol: ...Graylock and I will be giving out autographs!

Bump de bump bump thud :shock: ...........
This weekend........calling out some Rat Rodders to stop by this event. This is in, for some of you, your back yard. If you don't attend you will have to do the walk of shame while doing the funky chicken and sing "I'm a Little Tea Pot" at the Old Folks Home.

I have been busy cutting my Tour Master in half with a hacksaw as suggested by KOTA so as to fit in the back of my wifes car. Hopefully It will be ready to ride on Saturday morning for the ride in Ayer.

Speaking of old guy's KOTA, last year Bob Hicks brought his Wicked Fast Trike and I hope he brings some of his friends with their bikes this year. Looking forward to the ride.

Graylock

I'll be stopping in too laugh AT ,I mean With, you old guys. Not sure if we'll be bring anything to ride, but who knows, my mind changes with the wind.

Graybeard, you still want that crappy Raleigh, do you have room to take it back, You are bringing the hacksaw right.

I'm going. I don't have anything funky to ride, but I'll bring one of my rats to cruise around on. I have two friends from Pittsfield meeting me there; they'll be riding uni's I think (freaks).

KOTA, thanks for the reminder, I was looking for a ride this beautiful weekend. Sat the Bones Club ride late.
So I think I will plan to bring my newest "beach bike" to the Ride as it did 20 miles last weekend,no prob :)
This is a stretched 20" lowrider,somethin different.And maybe the Tall Bike ,Graylock for your inspection :roll:

Seems like all the locals are going :D I sadly won't be there, going to a big car show in Manchester and then a Pig Roast :D Have fun guys :wink:

KZ1000 said:
I'll be stopping in too laugh AT ,I mean With, you old guys. Not sure if we'll be bring anything to ride, but who knows, my mind changes with the wind.

Graybeard, you still want that crappy Raleigh, do you have room to take it back, You are bringing the hacksaw right.
If I take the wheels off I should be able to set it on top of the Tour Master (my wife won't know....shhhh... :roll: )
Also if you still have that electrical thingie you saved for me.....thanks.

Graylock

yes I still have those, I will bring them and the bike, If you can take it fine if not that's fine too

Hey Graylock I just packed my bike in the car............I'll meet you at the ride. I'll be the one with the Rat Rod Bike T-shirt on and holding a water bottle.

Last night packing it in
TM-003.jpg

See you there!
GL

I hear there's a metal re-cycler right next to the rail trail...That's a long ride, to clear up space in the garage.

2011 Human Powered Vehicle Festival PICTURES ADDED

Had a great time today, some interesting rides for sure.

Here are Kota and Graylock comparing Who told Who how to do What to What, seems Kota "stole" some ideas and Graylock had to bring his bike out of storage to show he did it first.
BikeFest005.jpg

BikeFest004.jpg

BikeFest003.jpg

The Highlite of the conversation was when some reporter wanted to talk to Kota about His bike and she proceeded to ask Graylock if he could "Move this thing out of the way so she could get a pic of Kotas bike only", He moved it like a gentleman
BikeFest046.jpg

Here is Graylock Trying to master a Swivel Trike
BikeFest009.jpg

and here is my son Zane, ZBOY here on Ratrods showing how it is done, 1 Handed

BikeFest014.jpg

a few of the ratrodders that showed up
BikeFest017.jpg

Pics from the parade of Human Powered Vehicles

BikeFest040.jpg

BikeFest039.jpg

BikeFest033.jpg

BikeFest032.jpg

BikeFest031.jpg

BikeFest027.jpg

BikeFest026.jpg

BikeFest025.jpg

BikeFest024.jpg

BikeFest023.jpg

BikeFest021.jpg

BikeFest019.jpg

BikeFest018.jpg

Stevil on his Tall bike
BikeFest048.jpg

Shortly before her spill, she came out uninjured
BikeFest047.jpg

A Lurker here who should be signing up shortly, Cool comfortable riding bike
BikeFest041.jpg

I Wish I didn't crash my go-cart last week, I'd be riding all these bikes

BikeFest051.jpg

AHH Better

BikeFest052.jpg

Nice pics, Rick....BUT you missed the last ten minutes of the festival. I let a number of people ride my bike, all day, all did very well. The very last guy crashed it. He turned the bars way to far and ended up almost spinning the front wheel all the way around, it stopped when the front caliper hit the down tube. Front steering tube is bent to one side now, rear steering tube is binding up a little. NOTHING lines up anymore. He was going pretty slow when it happened, so no one was injured. Poor guy was pretty nervous. As I walked the bike back he kept apologizing over and over. Told him to relax, it's just a bike, and no one got hurt....I'll be busy with it this week. :roll:

I forgot! What Graylock did to his bike, making TWO pieces out of it is absolute "genius"! The fit and workmanship is PERFECT!

Yea Larry, as I was getting ready to leave I saw you looking at the bike and saw the steer chain problem, Thought it was a good time to tiptoe out of there. hope it's not too bad

Back