2 speed kickback question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does a kickback work? Does it shift when you pedal backwards?

Thanks Markm.These are pretty hard to come by right? I've seen red bands but it sounds like I want a blue band.I didn't even know there was any besides red, except the green one on the Hooligan cycle truck (man I love that thing :D :shock: :D )

I don't want to sound like a know -it-all, but the red band has discs and the yellow and blue have shoes. The gearing on the red and yellow is the same, they have a low gear for easy starts and hills, and the high gear is normal. The blue band was made for 20 inch bikes and the low is normal and the high is overdrive.

I rode a kickback last week and it was surprisingly smooth. I really didn't know what to expect but it was an enjoyable experience. It is kind of odd at first! The bike was this 60s Schwinn Tiger.
lil_joe6.jpg

I have a '65 Schwinn Typhoon with a 2 speed yellowband hub that I bought early this summer and I'm still riding it around a few times a week. Low gear is just right for getting over the hills then back to the normal gear. Use it for errands sometimes.

Pros:
• Pretty cool to just backpedal an inch or so and change gears.
• Fun to tell your friends/neighbors about it and let them try it out = amazement.
• No cables man!

Cons:
• Changes gear every time you brake. Not always ideal.
• Sometimes changes to the low gear while yer just coasting, unbeknownst to you, causing your feet to fly forward next time you pedal.
• Looks a little scary to take apart and grease.

After 30 something years of using caliper brake bikes of all kinds, a coaster with 2 gears is a nice change. But for running errands in traffic, the kickback just isn't practical. A 3 speed with a shifter would be ideal.

i just rode my Flightliner for the first time after finally getting my tires, and i realized that i had a 2 speed kickback on it.
i like it. the shifting every time you brake is weird, but not a big deal.

Back