2 questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i should make seperate threads, but 2 quick questions.

1, i have a chromed out western flyer version of the spaceliner, but the seat frame is rusted. i want to still used it and keep the theme. does spray chrome looks like crap, or could it be worth the investment.

also, when you apply heat to metal, it has that cool multicolor effect before it starts to burn. could i buy a blowtorch and go nuts on the frame, or would that become a structural integrity issue?

Any of the spray chrome I ever tried always came out looking like aluminum paint instead of chrome! As for heating the frame to get those rainbow colors on the chrome,remember that bike frames are made of very high carbon steels such as reynolds 531,chrome molybendum,etc., and any time they are heated to a high temperature they do loose a little of their strength(you are in fact annealing the metal by heating it).If you do it be careful not to heat near any joints where strength is most critical(and you could possibly unbraze the joint).And you would also devalue the resaleability of the frame because most people prefer nice chrome.

1: yes all chrome paint looks pretty bad and i doubt you want to pay for a 3 stage paint job thatd be close to $800
so far the best looking chrome spray paint ive seen is testors(you know the model paint guys)....chrome doesnt look like real chrome but alot closer than others

2:just go down to a hardware store and get a butane torch..that burns so low that it wont really hurt anything

I'd paint that seat frame with semi-flat black Krylon, if you can still find it. It's lacquer, dries fast and thin with not much shine. The seat frame would "disappear" painted with that stuff. Gary

Back