2 garage sale finds...CWC Roadmaster and ??? Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been admiring bikes on here for about a year now but never had anything to share until this weekend. Found these two bikes at a garage sale and was hoping for confirmation on one and identification on the other. The first is a women's CWC Roadmaster that I believe is from either 1939 or 1940 based on catalogs and other photos I've seen, I was wondering if anyone knew for sure. The other is a boy's bike with the hard rubber "puncture proof" tires. I couldn't see any kind of serial number on it, and the writing on the head badge has been altered to the point it can't be read. Both have "New Departure Model D" hubs and skip tooth chains. The Roadmaster has a Delta Rocket Ray light. I was hoping someone might know the age of the Roadmaster and the make and rough age of the mystery bike. Thanks in advance.

Vintagebikes001.jpg

Vintagebikes005.jpg

Vintagebikes006.jpg

Vintagebikes007.jpg

Thanks. They had a crappy women's 10 speed set out for sale and I noticed these set back in the garage. I said "What's the story with these two" and she said that they had tried to sell them the prior year and no one wanted them. I ended up getting these two, the 10 speed and a cool mid modern chair for $60. It was a good stop. I've been to probably 150 garage sales in the last year and had never seen a tank bike. Pretty cool to own it...you don't happen to know what the othe one is?...

Here is a pic of the chainguard. In looking at the picture, it looks like there is a serial number near the kickstand. I really don't know too much about these old balloon tire bikes, I really honestly never anticipated finding one at a garage sale so most of my time has been spent researching and hunting and restoring/convering vintage 60's, 70's and 80's road bikes. I just figured that there were more of those to be found so that's what I've looked into.

As far as plans for these, I really am not sure. The mystery bike looks to be 100% original and outside of cleaning I'm not sure what more I could do to enhance the bike. As for the Roadmaster, kind of the same situation. It must weigh 40 lbs, and the tires are fried and it will need new grips. I am not sure if the light works and wouldn't know how really to test it or fix it if isn't. The flipper in me says I should part it out, but the purist in me says to get it into someone's hands who will appreciate it as a whole bike more than I do. I suppose I could offer it for trade for a road bike. I am not sure what the fair market value is for either of these, can't find really exact sales comps for the Roadmaster and can't compare an unknown bike. Any thoughts?

Vintagebikes.jpg

No need to pardon, you're only ignorant if you don't ask in order to learn...

And yes it is a springer fork....one I'd love to have if you do decide to part that bike out :D
Keep me in mind if you do....great scores.....

If the Rocket Ray is original to the bike I'd say it is a 50's model. Rocket Rays weren't around yet in prewar times. You should be able to trade the Roadmaster for two or three road bikes. :wink: In this case I agree with the purist in you. Anyone that parts that bike out should be flogged...just my humble opinion! :p Gary

This Girl’s Roadmaster dates between 1950 and 1954 which is the time period that the company used the pattern of rear dropouts that are on this bike.

Regarding the market value of the bike, I believe that sold as a whole it would not make it to $250 either here on this site or on eBay. It is a clean original bike but not a full on deluxe one and 1950’s girl’s bikes don’t have a huge pull with most collectors. A $250 sale would typically mean a buyer was willing to pay around $325 for the bike if it needed to be shipped. While that is probably the market ceiling for the bike complete to this market and given sentiment generally runs against disassembling clean originals to sell for parts; it is still a fact in the hobby that when parted strategically, most bikes can bring in 150% to 300% the money that they do sold whole.

Outside the hobby the cleanliness of this bike could easily influence someone to pay more for it in a local sale where shipping does not add to the cost and the bike would be enjoyed by someone who is not bound by an “understanding” of the market value of the bike or someone who is looking for a period bike to enjoy for riding.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far...I really appreciate it. I am located in Cleveland, OH...I hate to be the guy that would part it out and break it down after it's survived 50+years intact...but I did suspect that parted would bring more to the bottom line. I would prefer to sell it local because the breakdown and shipping if parted or sold as whole would be a bit of a pain. If there were any interest in anyone picking it up local to me (basically within 2 hours drive, maybe 4 since I will be on vacation next week) I would be willing to sell it for a very reasonable price and even meet halfway to do the transaction. It's more about the hunt and thrill of the find for me, obviously the money is nice but I enjoy the research and education that comes from the whole process.

Anyone have any insight on the smaller boy's bike????

One other quick question: is it still considered "complete" if the tires will need replaced as well as the grips? I have sold some vintage bmx bikes and I know that those pieces being replaced don't generally affect the value/collectibility of the bike, but obviously the more stock original the better. Was just curious if the same basically holds true for these old beasts. Thanks. -Jeremy

Back