2 directions, can't decide.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 thoughts in the back of my head to work out this winter to keep me busy. The base is a 1941 Schwinn Dx. When I bought it, it didn't have the original fork and a dull paint job.

My first idea is to get a springer fork and run some 24x3 tires . This would probably be just a occasional sidewalk cruiser in front of the house and short other trips.

My second idea is to try and run a 700c x 32mm tire and nothing special for a fork. I think it will fit, but it'll be really tight. I would ride it as a single speed with the kids over a longer trip, it would get more use.

Has anyone tried to fit a 700c tire?

I am leaning a bit towards the second idea but I think both would be cool. What do you think?

Has anyone tried to fit a 700c tire?
Yep. I put 700c x 35 on a middle weight frame. Other than having to let the air out of the rear tire to mount it in the forward facing dropouts, it works.

....and, with a 41, that's no problem b/c it has rear-entry ends. A balloon tire is a theoretical 667mm in total diameter, whereas a 700x32c is a theoretical 675mm. Only about 4mm difference in the radius, will fit awesome, but the lateral gaps will be quite wide. Have fun.

Back