2 CRUSTY COPPERTONES (LADIES BIKE SOLD)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well...these are ratty alright...ha ha. :lol:

Still wondering what I was thinking when I said yes to these two.

Must have been my soft spot for coppertone bikes and the gleaming 2 speed kickback hub on the Traveler.

I still think I overpaid at $80 for the pair.

1965 Traveler...

DSC_0015-16.jpg

DSC_0018-10.jpg

DSC_0016-17.jpg

DSC_0017-15.jpg

DSC_0019-9.jpg

DSC_0020-11.jpg

DSC_0021-10.jpg

And here is the 1967 Breeze...

DSC_0022-8.jpg

DSC_0023-8.jpg

DSC_0024-8.jpg

DSC_0025-9.jpg

Re: 2 CRUSTY COPPERTONES

personally, i think 80 for the pair is a great deal. within a few weeks you will have them looking new and bringing a nice penny on the bay. great finds :D :D

It was sort of an interesting transaction. The CL ad title was "Bicycles." In the ad it said that they were selling a boys and girls Schwinn bike from 1967 for $80 each. I emailed and asked if they were banana seat bikes and the guy called me back and said no...they are like touring bikes and they are this copper color. I ask him about the condition and all he says is that they just need tires. He posted no photo because supposedly he couldn't get the camera to work. I ask about the paint and the chrome and he says it's all in good shape. In my mind I'm thinking....if this guy only knew what I consider "good shape"...ha ha! :lol:

I decided since it was on my way home I'd meet up with the guy and check them out. When I got there and saw the bikes I thought...hmmm, these babies are rough. :shock: The paint on these is pretty far gone and polishing won't help too much. Looks like they've spent their fair share of time in the Texas sun. The fenders have some dents and there's lots of rust to remove. I told him I wasn't interested in the Breeze and I was barely interested in the Traveler. In my mind I was thinking that all I cared about was getting that 2 speed hub. I offered him $50 for the Traveler and then he said....oh man, just make me an offer for the pair...I don't want to take them home. We haggled back and forth for a while and he agreed to the $80 price for both. I know I'm getting lazy too because I was thinking....man, you just bought yourself some work...ha ha.

I'm at a point right now where I don't want to spend hours rubbing rust off of old bikes to sell them for a meager profit....especially when it's in the 100s out in the garage. :oops: I probably will clean the Breeze up a bit and get it running and then sell it to recoup my cash. The Traveler can hang for a while until I get the itch to make something cool out of it.

Just another fun day on the CraigsList. :lol:

that travelers pretty cool looking. id really like to have one that looks just like that. cant beat that coppertone color either!!! just give those the ol' RatRod cleaning treatment and theyll be looking brand new in no time!!!

Easy E

Cool bikes. Easily earn you money back twice with that Breeze. Too bad that 2speed is not on a regular 26" rim. Make the kickback a Pub Hub. Perfect for your Raleigh.

I'm just hoping the 3 speed works. :?

The last Collegiate I bought had a bad hub and I ended up having to swap wheels.

Tires are what really kill ya on these flippers.

Rat Rod said:
I'm just hoping the 3 speed works. :?

The last Collegiate I bought had a bad hub and I ended up having to swap wheels.

Tires are what really kill ya on these flippers.
I hear ya on the tires....

I think I saw that ad on CL...I overlook the ones with no pics, never again.

Did you see that ad on the DFW page for that guy selling a ton of bikes in FW? I want to go over there and check it sometime. But I am getting a free (70's?) Huffy crusier nxt week...no sense in spending when I can snag ones via Facebook for free....

And the weather here is a problem, the 100 degree weather can just bake a bike, inside and out. Our cruisers came with horrible paint when I met H, and she had no where to store them (still don't) inside, and refurbing them is taking longer than I thought. Not to mention the rust and oxidization issues.

id say not bad for $80 for the both. $80 each woulda been overpaying, and id almost pay $80 for a 2speed kickback hub on a 26 x 1.75 rim at this point. like the colors and especially the travler. looks like there wil be some work involve, but isn't that what we do, buy these bikes that we know we are gonna have to get down and dirty with? and if that 3speed hub is an s.a., theyre actually easy to rebuild. havent came across a s.a. 3speed drivetrain that i couldnt fix and never a shimano 3speed drivetrain that i didnt have to fix. you did good. :mrgreen:

Very fair deal I would say! Is the headset on the traveler the type that does not use a traditonal chrome bearing cup?Kinda hard too see it in the pics. If so, should you choose to part with it I am interested. Later & PEACE!!! :wink:

Been working on the Breeze the past couple of nights trying to get it ready to sell.

Just need to buy some new brake cables and brake pads. The shifter isn't working all that great either.

The good part is that it does stay in gear and doesn't jump around so theoretically, if you leave it in 2nd, it's about like having a single speed bike.

I'm planning to give the Traveler a little Rat Rod treatment after I sell the Breeze off. :wink:

Sold the ladies bike today to a young lady for her birthday.

Managed to get $150 out of it. Wish I had about 10 more of them for all of the other folks who inquired about it.

I was either too low or hit the perfect price point. Regardless, it ended up paying for both bikes, cables and tires for both.

Now I end up with a free men's Traveler with a kickback hub and new tires and tubes. :mrgreen:

Here she is after some new tires, cables and quick bath.

DSC_0001-14.jpg

DSC_0002-15.jpg

DSC_0003-16.jpg

DSC_0004-12.jpg

DSC_0006-13.jpg

DSC_0007-14.jpg

Yep it looks great, but the gumwalls don't look as good as blackwalls on the coppertone to me.

Back