1st build - chopper with no name Last Update 11/17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well thats a lie i have rebuilt loads of bikes over the years but the is my first chop and build

The frame started out as 2 18" frame 24" wheel boys bikes chopped about to make on large raked frame no plans just ad-hoc

004.jpg

003.jpg

once i get the forks i can mock the frame up, but inbetween time i have the welds/braze to make good (went a bit mad with the mig) and the head brace to make and weld in, 1 support from the top tube to the seat tube and 1 support from the bottom tube to the front tube.

I was aiming to powdercoat the frame but the cost and amount of prep the frame would of needed was too much

anyhoo spec wise its going to be a 9x1 setup, 8" (203mm) disc on the front and a standard 5 1/2 (160mm) on the rear, heres the rest of the spec

Front Wheel

Black Rim TWF115BK
Silver Quando Disc Ready Front Hub
Shimano BR-M495 Caliper And 203mm Disc (adapter to suit)

Rear wheel

Sun Ringle Wheels Rims MTB 24" DoubleWide Disc Rim 32h Black 24inch
Shimano Wheels Hubs MTB Deore Disc Hub Rear M525 32h Black 6-Bolt
Shimano Deore 9 Speed Bike Cassette 11/32 Cogs CSHG50
Shimano BR-M495 Caliper And 160 Disc

Shimano LX M580 9 Speed Lever
Shimano Acera Rear Mech Derailleur SILVER
Sturmey Archer FCT2442b Crank with 40t 130bcd Stronglight Chainring
2 x KMC Z9200 Chain

Miranda brake levers (long)
Cona Glog camp-on Handlebar grips
Brand-X Seat Clamp & Bolt Double - 31.8mm

Cane Creek S2 Headset 1"
Triple Tree Forks from California - Usa
1" Bmx Stem (old school)

Transfil Black Snake Brake Cable Set - Pair
Transfil Gear Casing - Shimano - 2 Metres
Shimano Deore/XT Inner Gear Cable

I wanted a basman frame and forks but at 400 euro plus shipping to england it was way too much money I have my mission trike to rebuild sometime

Any comments welcome

Re: 1st build - chopper with no name

Gotta love those choppers...Ill keep watchin your build to see what you do next. :mrgreen:

wow, you got my attention!

my Front lights turned up this morning, now i have got to build up a pcb for a low voltage (3-4v) Led setup for them, bit stuck untill i get the triple trees

Watch this space

A little update.................

Got my lights the other day, so i started to make up the led boards to replace the standard R207 12v bulb as i wanted a 3.6v setup (3 x 1.2v 3000mah cells)
Pcbs are a bit of strip board rough sanded to a round-ish shape before fitting to the lamp holder i sealed the the pcb with some sealer to stop it corroding

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Just to add i cant make up my mind wether to have 1 or 2 clear lights on the front forks see what thet look like when the forks come what should be next week fingers crossed

Re: 1st build - chopper with no name Update 06/11

A bit more progress today...............................

been working on the frame on and off most of the day, 2 new frame supports are in welded up and welds dressed to make them look better, cleaned the frame up a bit too and got rid of some of that horrid paint, got to get some plate to make up the head tube support and kickstand mount.

Will get to the paint shop this week as i need some etch primer/etch and see what colours look good, nissan Le-Mens Sunset (A17) is on my list but not sure at the mo, Matt black seems to of been done to death lately

001.jpg

Any feedback welcome :roll:

Re: 1st build - chopper with no name Update 06/12

Picked my forks up today from the parcel depot as thay screwed me for the vat @ 20% on the import but its still cheaper than getting them from the netherlands, also got my lugs and braze on bits from ceeway (Thanks peter) Back wheel is at the LBS as it needs dishing and needs to be true'd aswell

New buttoned velo seat and a seat post are on there way too so all go

A few new pic's will be coming Soon !!

Re: 1st build - chopper with no name Update 06/16

Just a little update the frame is getting there slowly
001-1.jpg

1" Ahead stem been hunting for one of these for ages big lump of alloy the stem comes up the centre and theres space for a top cap inside' aswell as 2 bolts securing it at the back.

cant decied wether to polish it or paint it

003-1.jpg

got a few other bits too, decided to change the headlight for a 4" dominator in chrome as the bullets didnt look right in mock up, I need a longer BB too around 118mm should do the job, welding is 98% done just 1 bracket 1 kickstand mount and 2 holes to do

Re: 1st build - chopper with no name Update 06/23

Looks very interesting so far
Cut and shut of MTB frames looks to be the way to go here in the UK where we have no access to cheap Schwinn frames
Jo0Lz

Re: 1st build - chopper with no name Update 06/23

Sorry for the late reply

front forks are 33" triple trees

Had a bit of a mad few months lots going on bikes and otherwise, built a nice 6 speed cruiser bike with a team saracen frame mat black with chrome and polished alloy bits (sorry no pics)

Had a few repairs that turned into bigger things so the studio/workshop was packed, finally got to the chopper last night, the rear BB is now cut flush, plated and mig'd just got to grind it all back and shape it

Not all that well at the mo and time is in short supply lately I will update the thread as and when i progress with the build

Thanks for looking

Some how when i wasnt at home the frame was damaged, while reparing the damage i found the chain stays where wafer thin and the braze just sitting on the surface (factor braze) lost faith in the frame so back to square one

new project coming soon, got the frame just need to strip it

this will be the last update for this build :( :( :( :( :?

Back