19_ _ Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
I finally got around to digging this one out. I pulled it from a old abandonned fallen down barn a ways away from my place and had to pull a whole lot of the barn off of it to get it. It's an old skip tooth chain, pretty neat!
l_4d9d8abe69de0f45a3cbb6715f06237d.jpg

I've been pulling it apart the past 3 days. I have it all apart except for 1 race on the crank, the front fork, and the seat post.

What it needs:
2 26" 36 spoke rims
2 26" tires
bearings and races for bottom bracket
bearings for the rear hub (3)
a set of pedals
a new rear wheel adustment bolt
bearings for the front fork
alot to time and patience freeing up the links in the skip tooth chain

l_24ff2958b9c44cd48a83f502520f377c.jpg

Any suggestions as where to turn for appropriate rim, tires, and bearings?

I'm heading down to drop off a few bikes in Albany for thier community bike program (troy bike rescue) , maybe I can find some stuff there....

I am in a similar situation with my ladies Hawethorn. Supposedly you can use the crank sprocket with a modern chain. So My plan is to buy a $79 Wal mart or K-Mart 26 " cruiser and use the chain, wheel assemblys, tires,and whatever else I need from that on the old frame with the skip tooth front sprocket. So to recap... you can use new cruiser chain on old front/crank with a new rear sprocket. You can not use a skip tooth chain on a new sprocket with out grinding off half the teeth. Nice save by the way. Glad it won't be lost to the ravages of time and nature.

WOW cool find...you really have your work cut out for ya! depending on what kind of build you are planning...... stock original you will be having a real tuff time. But if you are going for the retro look? than ya find a new 26" bike and rob all the parts from it....good luck

FW

I think that might be a late 40's or early 50...51...52 ??

The chain is going to be a lost cause most likely but as far as the rims, you may be able to re-spoke em.

The tires would have been Ward's Riverside, which were sold through the 60's, maybe longer, so NOS ones may be around.

The good news is, the seat looks like it has some skin left on it and that is a GREAT frame. Check under the rust with a brass brush or a little cleanser and toothbrush. I got one that looked that rusty and all of the paint was still underneath!!!
:D

hey thanks everyone for all the help and insight!

So I spent the whole month working away on that in the evenings and working on the Willys Wagon in the daylight hours outside.

I did finally get everything apart except for the seat post, which is ok with me!

What I found:

2 26" 36 spoke rims
Chromed, no-profile rims with 105 gauge spokes. The rims come assembled. I purchased 2 front rims, and had to exchange one rims spokes for either 14 or 15mm 265mm length spokes to work for the rear hub. I also found out that the front rim hub is approximately 1/2-1" too wide where it comes in contact with the front fork dropouts. This is a problem I will solve eventually, likely by re-spokeing the unoriginal hub I have, with new 14/15mm spokes and use the new rim itself, and return the hub and spokes or try to exchange them with someone on here who could use them.
http://206.130.114.132/product_info.php ... 0b1daf98b1

2 26" tires - closest match I came across for $18 a piece
Tire - Electra Retrorunner White Line 26 x 2.125 Bicycle Tire[T100]
http://206.130.114.132/product_info.php ... 0b1daf98b1

bearings and races for bottom bracket
I got all of this at my local shop, we eventually found something that would work on the crank side, and I had to add 2 washers to make up for the 9/16" height of the original race & spacer.

bearings for the rear hub (3)
All of these came from the bike shop too no problem.

a set of pedals
-still looking

a new rear wheel adustment bolt
I eventually got the old one out with much drilling, grinding, cutting and other forms of punishment for me and the bolt. I was able to find an appropriate phillips head replacement with the appropriate threads, but not a 'period style.'

bearings for the front fork
these I pulled from a bike in our neighbors barn, but the front fork it a different story.

alot to time and patience freeing up the links in the skip tooth chain
I did get most of it freed up. There are definitely areas that still need alot of help, I might not be able to give.

The seat top more or less discenegrated upon dismantling. I am looking for one if you know of one that would fit. I might find something out ehre in Syracuse again, but maybe not too.

The front fork dropped down quite easily with some PBBlaster and 2 people encouraging it. Unfortunately inside the downtube it was badly bent, and the bearings were shredded. I tried heating the pipe, while keeping it stationary in a vice and bending it straight, but foolishly on my behalf I used a pipe outside of it too large in diameter which only applied pressure in 1 area, making the theaded end out of round, and still having the tube bent.

I brought some of the smaller parts to work on while back at school, while the rest of it waits patiently at home again.
I scored some chromed 26" balloon fenders from our neighbors barn which aren't replicas but they are dang close. I will likely straighten them out, shine them temporarily (like the chrome rims- use/enjoy it while its chrome I guess) and eventually paint them back the way they should look.

l_9674671d87236c0e72abe5e048721daf.jpg

Hey Everyone,
So I had a real good day regarding bikes a few days ago. A few weeks ago I had the chance to put on the old chain I got on ebay for aroudn $30, the mis-matched pedals and much older seat I picked up from a woman about an hour from me for $20. Sometime last week I finally straightened out the old fork with a vice and pipe, and got the tube round again with the taper off of a pipe flaring tool. With that I was able to go to the shop, mis-match a new smaller diameter axle, bearings that would fit, and track down something to make dust shields out of. I retained the new jam nuts on the axle, and found 2 14mm washers with the ID,OD and thickness I needed. I also had to pickup 4 shims that stay on the bottom of the tube where it forks because the threads were damaged on the top below a certain point. After getting that all together this is what I had. 4 months of hard work, searching, etc. and I finally get to ride it. I still have the ratty old fenders, rack and chainguard I am debating putting back on.

I also brought in my tandem to the shop that day to get the rear frame adjusted a bit. They ended up giving me another Columbia tandem, a few years newer in much worse shape that they were going to toss. Tandem luck I suppose, I ended up losing the bid on the rollfast tandem which was just fine to me since the next tandem is for my friend anyhow. I'll post some better pictures of everything sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back