1999 GT Mooneyes Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my many bikes.

1999 GT Mooneyes Cruiser that i've swapped some parts out.

Seat, bars, grips, added the genuine mooneyes wheel covers(those cost more than the bike), pedals.

Since the photos, I got a nos GT 3 piece chrome crank and I'm looking for a pair of GT 9/16" yellow nos pedals.
The original 1-piece crank runs so untrue, it keeps throwing the chain which is a real problem with coaster brakes.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mooneyes1.jpg

Stay out of Oz

Oh why yes it is a handful on windy days. Well, on calm days too because of the goofy geometry & fork setup. I'm still annoyed that the wind dumped it on brand new pedals, seat & grips. Can't trust that kickstand.

Also had to replace the inner tubes. The bike came from that part of the country where they have those tiny burrs every where and it had slow leaks. Hard to inflate tires when you can't get a regular pump on the valve stems.

The wheel covers are genuine Mooneyes. They are bigger than any car wheel so they cost more. grrrreat. Spun aluminum tapered disks made especially for the stock wheels. Held on with 3 sets of flush screws & flush nuts with o-rings to stop the rattling.

Rick

Sounds like the burrs were goatheads, we've got plenty of those around here. THey look fairly harmless until you pull them off and realize each one has a about 3/16 long thorn it left in your tire.

It looks like that fork could definitely use more trail for the angle of the head tube, must be a little twitchy even without wind.

I don't think your handling problems are in the bikes geometry. I have a Deuce with the same fork and it handles great even at 30mph going through tight curves. As I look at your bike it seems to me that your ridding position and the drag bars would make it twitchy. I really like the way your bike looks, you did a great job building it up but I would change the human geometry...Kelly
normal_my%20bike%201.jpg

1999 gt / dyno line up

In 1999 GT / Dyno offered a whole line of crusiers.

You can read what the designer of some of them has to say about them here:
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/aaronb2.html

Another cool model was the Taboo Tiki by Von Franco.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19150&forum=12&4

Shortly later Schwinn bought out GT/Dyno, shut down the line and then went bankrupt. Some of the line continues now at Kustom Kruiser

I don't see many GT Mooneyes for sale. I think they made fewer of them than the rest of the lineup but who knows.

For the past few years Nirve was selling a Mooneyes bike. But I don't see it on their website now. That bike was very different (and lower priced too). Same bike as many other bikes they sell but with different paint & decals.

The Dyno Mooneyes is defintely a different frame from the Deuce. The wheel base is much longer than most crusiers. Like 48 inches if I 'mremembering my cruisers correctly. Thats because of a shallower head tube angle which throws the front wheel out farther. That affects the trail which makes the front wheel tend to flop over. Of course the wheel cover on the front wheel really doesn't help handling which is true for any bike. It came with 26" wide curved bars which gave me lots of leverage to control it but it still wanted to flop over. The original bars were so big, the ends would hit my thighs when trying to turn. I could not do a u turn in a 2 lane road! And getting on and off was a challenge with the bars in the way. Even tilting them way up didn't help the ride at all. And the seating position was bolt upright putting all my weight on the saddle (not comfy at all). Better to lean over some and put some weight on the arms and get a little more streamlined. The position isn't the best but I don't plan on riding centuries on it. Longest to date was a 46 mile ride. It would be better for someone with short legs and long arms and torso. But this bike is all about looks as are most cruisers and rat rods.

For this bike, the overall appearance is about speed, you just don't get that look sitting upright with big bars and overly padded seats.

Rick.

I like the look of the "drag bars". I'm thinking of converting mine into a salt flat / boardtracker look. The old skool GT 3 piece cranks are sick too! I used to have a set back in the day, but my brother gave'em away. I'm still pissed about it!

p.s. dig those moon disc too! good investment.

9566728_l.jpg

I've got a MoonEyes too and I also want the wheeldiscs :mrgreen: These bikes are very rare over here in Europe so I was very glad to find one when I came across it 8)

I know this older guy, mid 50s, he raced funny cars, off shore speed boats, and top fuel dragsters through his life time lol if I showed him this he would kill some one for it (probably not) but hes all for the moon eyes lol.

Very cool bike. My freind has a set of those disc,but his has a small set of eyes on them. I wanted one of these bikes but couldn't find one so i built my own version.
013-11.jpg

010-8.jpg

Worksman009.jpg

Worksman002-1.jpg

Worksman005-1.jpg

Back